Galapagos so close

General banter about diving and why we love it.
lostnbrownsmead
Avid Diver

Galapagos so close

Post by lostnbrownsmead »

Hello Everybody I was within two miles of Isla San Cristobol in the Galapagos and they wouldnt let me dive. :-({|=

Maybe next time. First Golfito, no diving, then the Galapagos and now Guatamala in a few days (looks like no diving there) Maybe when we stop in San Diego on the way home I will be able to dive \:D/ . I need to get wet.

Jay
lostnbrownsmead
Avid Diver

Picture of Isla San Cristobol

Will see if this works

Jay
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Wow, Jay. You're really getting around. I can't remember if you ever told us about how this trip came about.

:bounce:
lostnbrownsmead
Avid Diver

Calvin wrote:Wow, Jay. You're really getting around. I can't remember if you ever told us about how this trip came about.

:bounce:
Calvin I am stationed on a Coast Guard Cutter. The Cutter patrols from the Oregon, Washington coast all the way to the Equator and beyond. We do everything from Search and Rescue to Law Enforcement (Fisheries to Counter Drug). We have had a fairly quiet patrol with several nice stops, except not much diving, except in Peurto Vallarta. I have seen several great diving places (i.e Cocos, Galapagos, Drakes bay Costarica) from afar but no stops yet. I am still trying to get the ship to stop at Cocos island, but no luck so far.

Jay
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

That's cool, I had no idea the US Coast Guard did stuff that far outside of US waters. So how many people onboard and how many of you dive?
lostnbrownsmead
Avid Diver

Calvin wrote:That's cool, I had no idea the US Coast Guard did stuff that far outside of US waters. So how many people onboard and how many of you dive?
Calvin, There are Coast Guard ships deployed at various locations around the world (Pacific, Atlantic, Caribean, Mediteranian, Persian Gulf, Arctic and Antarctic etc...). 75 people are assigned onboard the Cutter I am stationed on. There are 3 or 4 active divers. There are a few more who say they dive but I have not been able to get them out to dive yet. When we get back I have talked one of the active warm water divers into trying cold water diving. Also one other person tried a resort class in Peurto Vallarta and now they want to get certified.

Jay
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Pretty cool, too bad the captain isn't a diver!!! At least I hope he isn't if he is passing by all those awesome dive opportunities. It's got to be pretty cool being on the cutter though.
:salute:
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Hey guys "

FYI when you come down to dive with jay and I at one of our Oregon Sites jay can give us a gided tour of the Ship and we can see where he works and what he does for a living first hand

Jay Grate Pics I am so jelious
You just know I would have " fell over board with all me dive gear on "

I could just clame I was just trying it on and fell over when the Ship pitched.

I cant beleive you did not think of that I have to take care of you all the time GEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
lostnbrownsmead
Avid Diver

sparky wrote:You just know I would have " fell over board with all me dive gear on "
Sparky
They were watching me to close.

Jay
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

[quote="lostnbrownsmead
They were watching me to close.

Jay[/quote]

I see they are on to you then ?

so was the Islands coll or what I would have to say that is one of my life goals is to go there and hike the Islands and to dive ( Like thats going to happen )

But its a nice dream .

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him