Rattlesnake lake

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Rattlesnake lake

Post by Maverick »

Today (2000), little trace of Moncton remains, except for the adventurous. Those with scuba gear can probe the murky depths of Rattlesnake Lake and still find the foundations of this short-lived town.

This is a clip i found on the internet about the town that rattlesnake snake flooded in 1915. there really is a town under the water at a lake i fish in the summer quite frequently. Lets go dive it :bounce:

Jim#1 pointed it out, good find Jim.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

do you have any links to news stories about this?> sounds like a club dive to me.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Put together a dive plan in the dive plan page. I'm in!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I'll Find it, I think your right :bootyshake:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Which?

Post by Sasquatch »

There are a couple of Rattlesnake Lakes. Are you all refering to the one near North Bend?
laplansk
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Re: Rattlesnake lake

Post by laplansk »

Yes, this refers to the Rattlesnake Lake in North Bend. I would be ecstatic if y'all would be willing to let a new diver like myself come along to see this. I just posted about wanting to dive on this lake in my introductory "Hello" post before coming across this thread. I have 6 dives so far and no equipment. Anyone willing to help do this awesome dive?? please!!

Wow, 8 years have passed since this thread started. I wonder if y'all have already done this....?
bigsky
Dive-aholic

Post by bigsky »

yes, we did rattlesnake lake. started at one side and scootered to the other side. 3 ft vis.
absolute mud. 25 feet deep. we kept running into submerged logs and sticks (the scooter
makes a loud thunk sound when it hits a tree underwater).
the funny part. we found several square foundations in 5 ffw. when we gathered at the surface
to compare notes there was an older gentleman standing there. he had walked over to see us as
he had never seen divers there. when we told him about the houses, he agreed we were in the right
spot. he just waits until summer when the water is lower and walks around them. :rofl:
i know the difference between right and wrong
wrong is usually the fun one
Fordman
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Fordman »

I've seen it almost completely empty several times as I used to live close to the lake. Never had a desire to dive it though. A muddy, no viz stump infested swamp. Unless you like looking at concrete foundations.....
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
archisgore
Aquaphile

Post by archisgore »

Damn. I just saw this and got so excited. Love underwater cities, even if they're 5 ffw deep.
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

bigsky wrote:yes, we did rattlesnake lake. started at one side and scootered to the other side. 3 ft vis.
absolute mud. 25 feet deep. we kept running into submerged logs and sticks (the scooter
makes a loud thunk sound when it hits a tree underwater).
the funny part. we found several square foundations in 5 ffw. when we gathered at the surface
to compare notes there was an older gentleman standing there. he had walked over to see us as
he had never seen divers there. when we told him about the houses, he agreed we were in the right
spot. he just waits until summer when the water is lower and walks around them. :rofl:

LOL, this brings the point up about asking local "divers" about the area before jumping in. Had you asked first..... :BDub:
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
Graveler
Just Settling In

Post by Graveler »

Lol I've never seen the water anything but Crystal clear.
Fordman
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Fordman »

Graveler wrote:Lol I've never seen the water anything but Crystal clear.
How often do you dive it?
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

archisgore wrote:Love underwater cities, even if they're 5 ffw deep.
[sarcasm]Would this be a job for a tech snorkel or would we be going straight to rebreathers?[/sarcasm]
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver