Open ROV Project

General banter about diving and why we love it.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Open ROV Project

Post by renoun »

Boing Boing linked to a NY Times article about the OpenROV Project. Once they are producing kits it looks like an affordable way to get video without diving to around 100m.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: Open ROV Project

Post by ljjames »

Thread resurrection....

I have an OpenROV 2.6 arriving in the near future and after assembly hope to use it to do sea star and garbage patch surveys. If folks want to take a look at it, let me know and maybe we can have a little OpenROV meet-n-greet, dive, sea star survey, trash cleanup and BBQ.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Way cool! Did you opt for the kit or are you getting a fully assembled unit?
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

So cool! I've been eyeing these. I'm very curious to see how worthy they'd be to this task! I've been dreaming about modifying one for U/W photography. Did you figure out a way to mount a good light? I'd be up for such a meet-and-greet! :)
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

renoun wrote:Way cool! Did you opt for the kit or are you getting a fully assembled unit?
I'll be assembling it myself
----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

YellowEye wrote:So cool! I've been eyeing these. I'm very curious to see how worthy they'd be to this task! I've been dreaming about modifying one for U/W photography. Did you figure out a way to mount a good light? I'd be up for such a meet-and-greet! :)
I have some ideas for real lights, but need to get a better feel for stability and payload
----
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

ljjames wrote:
YellowEye wrote:So cool! I've been eyeing these. I'm very curious to see how worthy they'd be to this task! I've been dreaming about modifying one for U/W photography. Did you figure out a way to mount a good light? I'd be up for such a meet-and-greet! :)
I have some ideas for real lights, but need to get a better feel for stability and payload
Do you need help assembling it and help with ideas? Help with lights?
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

This looks like all kinds of fun! I'm up for a meet and BBQ.
I also happen to know my way around electronics and am pretty handy with a soldering iron if necessary.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

The build of my OpenROV so far. We've made a few improvements to existing design. It really help to have a retired Boeing engineer with a hot shop for a friend :) (huge thanks to Neal Chism)

http://diverlaura.smugmug.com/OpenROV-26-build/
----
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ljjames wrote:The build of my OpenROV so far. We've made a few improvements to existing design. It really help to have a retired Boeing engineer with a hot shop for a friend :) (huge thanks to Neal Chism)

http://diverlaura.smugmug.com/OpenROV-26-build/
Cool project, maybe when I retire :p

What's the depth rating going to be?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Main body End cap flanges supposedly fail around 100m, main tube shortly after. They are looking at ways to improve this
----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

If folks are curious and interested in seeing some OpenROV's in action, Wednesday, late morning, we will be ‘flying’ some at Seacrest (likely cove 1/2). I will be diving with Erika Bergman (a nat geo young explorer) and Christine Spiten (OpenROV summer intern) and shooting some UW video of the OpenROV’s (technically i'll be diving, they'll be on the surface) while we test the efficacy of surveying sea star wasting disease and recruitment with OpenROV's.

You can get an up close and personal look at the ROV's, ask questions, maybe even drive one!

Just for giggles I may even have my iPhone microscope on hand so we can look at a few drops of seawater and try to identify some plankton. A maker-space extravaganza!

This won’t be your only opportunity, my personal OpenROV build is almost complete (I’m just waiting for batteries)
and will try to get it out with some regularity for Sea Star Wasting syndrome surveys, and will try to post them on the calendar!
----
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

ljjames wrote:If folks are curious and interested in seeing some OpenROV's in action, Wednesday, late morning, we will be ‘flying’ some at Seacrest (likely cove 1/2). I will be diving with Erika Bergman (a nat geo young explorer) and Christine Spiten (OpenROV summer intern) and shooting some UW video of the OpenROV’s (technically i'll be diving, they'll be on the surface) while we test the efficacy of surveying sea star wasting disease and recruitment with OpenROV's.

You can get an up close and personal look at the ROV's, ask questions, maybe even drive one!

Just for giggles I may even have my iPhone microscope on hand so we can look at a few drops of seawater and try to identify some plankton. A maker-space extravaganza!

This won’t be your only opportunity, my personal OpenROV build is almost complete (I’m just waiting for batteries)
and will try to get it out with some regularity for Sea Star Wasting syndrome surveys, and will try to post them on the calendar!
How did it go?
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

ljjames wrote:If folks are curious and interested in seeing some OpenROV's in action, Wednesday, late morning, we will be ‘flying’ some at Seacrest (likely cove 1/2). I will be diving with Erika Bergman (a nat geo young explorer) and Christine Spiten (OpenROV summer intern) and shooting some UW video of the OpenROV’s (technically i'll be diving, they'll be on the surface) while we test the efficacy of surveying sea star wasting disease and recruitment with OpenROV's.

Curious -- How did it go?
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

phpBB [video]
----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I have completed the first round of bathtub sea trials with my OpenROV!!!!!!!!! So excited to get it out in the open water! Had a slight delay with a controller board issue but as soon as I got a new one we were IN BIZ!

phpBB [video]
----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Sea Trial #1

phpBB [video]
----
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Very cool! It would be awesome if it was wireless. Perhaps in version 2.0. :-)
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

stphnmartin wrote:Very cool! It would be awesome if it was wireless. Perhaps in version 2.0. :-)
Later this week when I get my battery powered wifi router, the ethernet will plug into that and can then pilot it wirelessly with iPad.
----
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Not to many land marks, any way to add a compass to the mix?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

It has a compass, you can see it at bottom of control screen :)
----
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

You are so right, I was looking at the info on the right.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

For my next sea trial I'll do it on a lower tide so I can follow the rocks out to the little outfall :)
----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

SeaTrial #2 complete..
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 3.24.55 PM.png
----