Diving and E-Cig's

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Diving and E-Cig's

Post by Waynne Fowler »

So I have a couple folks who are quitting smoking. They are using the E-Cig Vaporizers. While I get that they are eliminating (or I'm assuming so based on the "very little" info that I can find) the Co2 and a lot of the other icky stuff in a designer cigarette. I do wonder what types of issues may arise due to the 'vapor' they inhale. I know nothings as good as putting nothing in your lungs that is not 'in the air' (no need to pick that all the way apart as we all know/accept that we inhale a lot of pollutants).
I've questioned DAN about it but have not gotten any answer from them yet.
So I thought I'd throw it out here in this forum.

Anyone with medical background have any insight or thoughts?
Anyone here use/using the E-Cig's, know someone who has and what was their/your experience?

I realize there is a serious lack of data about these things at this point (or there seems to be anyway). I'm not looking for definitive answers (unless there are some?).. rather I'm interested in educated opinions and/or experience, Either personal or 2nd hand.

No need to turn this into an anti-smoking thread as we all know smoking and diving is a really bad idea.

If you do have experience or an opinion but wish not to post it in a public forum, hit me with a PM as I'd be very interested in your thoughts/experience.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Re: Diving and E-Cig's

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

Tried them really did nothing for me. Used Chantrix and am now 3.5 months clean and no real desires to smoke. And everyone in my household is still alive, I'm still accepted at work and I feel better !!
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I have been vaping for 2 yrs, no issues at all.. There is alot of wrong info on ecigs, lots of mis informed stats.. Go to ecf forums and look at the research pages...
You inhale vapor, and liquid nicotine.. Pg based and vg based.. One is veg glycerin.. The other is sumthn I can't spell right now.. So read up.. And check it out
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

H20doctor wrote:I have been vaping for 2 yrs, no issues at all.. There is alot of wrong info on ecigs, lots of mis informed stats.. Go to ecf forums and look at the research pages...
You inhale vapor, and liquid nicotine.. Pg based and vg based.. One is veg glycerin.. The other is sumthn I can't spell right now.. So read up.. And check it out
Gotta admit, that's a very reassuring post....... :smt064

Can't say I know much about e-cigs. There have been some reported problems with folks playing with the batteries to up the output (smokers are seldom satisfied with their high) and trying to blow their noses off. Oh, yes, it has happened.

Nicotine as a drug is a pretty impressive one. Vasoconstriction, and cardiac stimulation would not seem to be good cohorts for diving. OTOH, the same drug characteristics + CO are definitely not great for diving either.
http://www.answers.com/topic/nicotine.

Short story, it's an evil....it's just a lesser evil for the most part.

People under 20 who smoke think they are cool. People over 20 who still smoke know they are idiots.
Addendum - guess that's kinda harsh.... :) No one plans on becoming an addict.

Fritz
Last edited by fmerkel on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Here ya go..
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

I love my vape..
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

fmerkel wrote:
H20doctor wrote:I have been vaping for 2 yrs, no issues at all.. There is alot of wrong info on ecigs, lots of mis informed stats.. Go to ecf forums and look at the research pages...
Gotta admit, that's a very reassuring post....... :smt064
Thats cause I Rock !!!

I'd rather vaporizer nicotine in its natural state.. then what the cigarette companies put in tobacco, which kills people everyday.. you can't die from vaporizing nicotine.. and the dude blew him self up used some cheap chinese disposable ecig.. So get educated Fritz.. please.. And don't be a jerk.. big tobacco and lobbyists are trying to stop e cigs everywhere.. because it takes profits out of their pockets..
Last edited by H20doctor on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

You may be right about getting educated.
I have absolutely no doubt big tobacco is full of some despicable creeps in existence.
30 years of Respiratory Therapy have given me a bit of an automatic response to anything remotely resembling smoking.
But that's not what was asked.

IMO, vaping just before diving is probably not such a great idea due to the vasoconstrictive and cardiac effects. This is even more important if you think you don't meet reasonable criteria for dive 'fitness', a pretty common characteristic in the dive community. Since most vapers are x-smokers I think I am not unreasonable in thinking they my not be dedicated exercisers. My apologies to those that are.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Well you would have to study how long nicotine stays in the body.. And when its absorbed and gone.. The same could b debated for, drinking and diving, smoking pot and diving, useing drugs and diving, pills, hash, cocaine, herion.. Etc.. Etc..
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

H20doctor wrote:Well you would have to study how long nicotine stays in the body.. And when its absorbed and gone.. The same could b debated for, drinking and diving, smoking pot and diving, useing drugs and diving, pills, hash, cocaine, herion.. Etc.. Etc..
And which of those is bad?

ALL OF THE ABOVE! :pirate:
squid509
Avid Diver

Post by squid509 »

i vape and dive
i all so vape and drive :eek:

i have been vaping for about 5 years now the only bad side effect i had was i gained like 20lb but that is form losing the appetite suppression you get from smoking i was a 2 pack a day before i switched
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

1 Pack a day avg maybe for 30 yrs. Used the Knock Off Vapes. And yes, they seemed weak and limited. Never got that " Full lung " sensation, and really missed the thick smoke exiting your mouth. It just felt different. LOVED the looks I got on airplanes, resturants and public places. Was told to go with the more expensive brand ( lost the name ) because it was a hotter Vaporizer and produced the heavier smoke I was desiring.

I decided to go with the Chantrix and stop altogether. Was having some issues at night waking up with shortness of breath from a deep sleep, scared the hell out of me. Even dreams of drowning above water!

After a few months .....gaining a few pounds.... I really don't " feel " any better. Still have the Vaporizers and will continue to play with them in Public to piss people off !! I would suggest if you want one, spend the money and get a good one and not the Knock off's. I paid 125.00 for mine at head shop.
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Weird, looking at how hot it was maybe going to get today and this came up as a side link:

Are E-Cigarettes Better For Your Health? The Doctors Weigh In...
http://www.livingto113.com/?keyword=yab ... ccuWeather

H2O Doc maybe be on to something here. I'm still a proponent of nothing in the lungs but good clean air but the addiction is pretty nasty and cigarettes are one of the worst health hazards since the black plague.
I even sent the link he provided off to a friend that does not seem to be able to stop.

BTW, I would suggest E-cig users not abuse their privilege by using them in public places even if it is not illegal. The animosity you create far outweighs the minor satisfaction you may get.

Fritz
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I can't object to vaping, I figure it is harm reduction. One might want to to dive conservative profiles though given nicotine's systemic effects.

With that said Washington State has just restored funding for the Quit Line 1-800-QUIT-NOW which provides a variety of smoking cessation programs. In the long run it is probably the better option.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Thanks for the input and the links folks. I am certainly of the opinion that nothing in the lungs is optimum. However in the real world people smoke various things and we all inhale things that are not 'good' for us.

My intent here (I've still received no input from DAN) was/is general info, experience and opinions from divers.

I would love to hear from those with a medical background that might have some insight or impressions.

Thank you all for keeping the thread on topic..
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Here is an article on Smoking and Diving thats written by a friend of mine, Heather Hamza. This article featured in a Quest Magazine not too long ago

With regards to medical profession, she is an anesthesiologist, but also an avid diver and conservationist with a great affection for safe diving practices. This article goes into detail about the side effects of not just smoking, but also the side effects of Nicotine and how that affects us physiologically when diving.

You can download the article here: http://www.gue-seattle.org/?attachment_id=454

K
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Fallacious
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Fallacious »

Waynne Fowler wrote:So I have a couple folks who are quitting smoking. They are using the E-Cig Vaporizers. While I get that they are eliminating (or I'm assuming so based on the "very little" info that I can find) the Co2 and a lot of the other icky stuff in a designer cigarette. I do wonder what types of issues may arise due to the 'vapor' they inhale. I know nothings as good as putting nothing in your lungs that is not 'in the air' (no need to pick that all the way apart as we all know/accept that we inhale a lot of pollutants).
I've questioned DAN about it but have not gotten any answer from them yet.
So I thought I'd throw it out here in this forum.

Anyone with medical background have any insight or thoughts?
Anyone here use/using the E-Cig's, know someone who has and what was their/your experience?

I realize there is a serious lack of data about these things at this point (or there seems to be anyway). I'm not looking for definitive answers (unless there are some?).. rather I'm interested in educated opinions and/or experience, Either personal or 2nd hand.

No need to turn this into an anti-smoking thread as we all know smoking and diving is a really bad idea.

If you do have experience or an opinion but wish not to post it in a public forum, hit me with a PM as I'd be very interested in your thoughts/experience.
Hi Waynne Fowler, If you want to run your wire out of the generate I can offer you just our replenisher component. It loads below the segment at the front side of the shifter and is controlled off the 12v outlet utilize. You could then link a standard USB expansion cable and path it where needed. The replenisher also has two results so you could power two gadgets if you desired. PM me if you want more information and facts.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Fallacious wrote:Hi Waynne Fowler, If you want to run your wire out of the generate I can offer you just our replenisher component. It loads below the segment at the front side of the shifter and is controlled off the 12v outlet utilize. You could then link a standard USB expansion cable and path it where needed. The replenisher also has two results so you could power two gadgets if you desired. PM me if you want more information and facts.
I put this in Google translator and still not sure what you are saying.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Norris wrote:
Fallacious wrote:Hi Waynne Fowler, If you want to run your wire out of the generate I can offer you just our replenisher component. It loads below the segment at the front side of the shifter and is controlled off the 12v outlet utilize. You could then link a standard USB expansion cable and path it where needed. The replenisher also has two results so you could power two gadgets if you desired. PM me if you want more information and facts.
I'm with you Norris... What do he just say? like he popped in from another dimension while have a conversation with someone else?

My only question would be... what if I want to run UNLIMITED gadgets and NEVER replenish.... what then huh?
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

Sounds like you'd need a rebreather for that.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Pretty sure it's a spam bot....
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

*funny puppy dog head tilt*
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

OK, so they have glycerol, nicotine, ethyl acetate, and water vapor. Ethyl acetate was comonly used in our lab for extractions of organic compounds. Long term exposure can cause residual injury level 2 Health warning and a level 4 flammablility (think propane). Apparently, you add a little open flame and oxygen (as in people on oxygen for medical reasons) have caught themselves on fire. Glycerol is a lot like vegetable oil in consistency. Not a bunch better than tar. As far as comparison to smoking for lung capacity, I would think the lung would clear all of these things out much easier than the items in cigarettes. That's just based on the fact that the lung is a pretty good cleaner and filter, but all that stuff is getting digested and going into your blood and liver to clean it out.

The carbon monoxide factor would be removed with e cigarettes as opposed to smoking tobacco. To understand why this factor is important you have to understand the hemoglobin latches onto CO at a rate higher than Oxygen. Ie a lower oxygen carrying capacity. There are some new studies that show this to be a neovascular growth increaser and they are using it for medicinal purposes, although the studies are on going. That is the big reason not to smoke while diving (in my personal opinion). The treatment for high carboxyhemoglobin is 100 percent oxygen to unbind the CO from the hemoglobin with a high partial pressure of oxygen. I think this is what causes problems for divers (the high incidence of carboxyhemoglobin in smokers). Therefore, personally I think the e cigarettes (although not healthy) don't pose the same dangers as smoking to diving. Just my two cents.
Last edited by RenaB on Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Norris wrote:
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Norris wrote: I put this in Google translator and still not sure what you are saying.
I'm glad that you had the decency to ban this hapless spamming soul but leave their inept spam for our amusement.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Thank you RenaB. I appreciate your thoughts on this subject. :)