Diving and E-Cig's

General banter about diving and why we love it.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Diving and E-Cig's

Post by CaptnJack »

Relevant editorial/review for you all

http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/122-A244/
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

That's worth reading for the vaping community for sure, and anyone interested in the subject.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Definitely an interesting read. Thanks for the link captnjack
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Saw this older article and it made me think of this thread.
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/ ... a-timeline

I have to admit I charge li-ion batteries unattended. Although they all have charge/discharge protection and I use a fire bag for the smaller light batteries. My large scooter batteries are in a vented aluminum housing. Sounds like many of these products don't have protection circuits. If you aren't sure, a fire retardant bag would be cheap ($20) insurance.
http://www.batteryspace.com/afireretard ... tfire.aspx
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

As li-on batteries become more common, the general public is becoming aware of them, seeing the huge difference they make in weight, size, and power, so are starting to use them. There are some serious pitfalls to that though if you don't do your homework, which is the reason you can't buy them at the hardware/drug store in the battery section.
1. Over charge them > fire or explosion
2. Over discharge them > kills them. Partially over discharge, then recharge, repeat = damaged battery with more potential for nasty "side effects".
3. You can buy them cheap directly from China with increasingly difficult, and not inappropriate, shipping issues. There are NO restrictions or quality assurance on these products from China, so.....some of the batteries and charger are pure crap/junk/dangers to health. If the battery says some brand of ****fire it almost surely is not very good, but it will be cheap and it will promise way more capacity than something costing 2-6x as much (Panasonic, Samsung, LG, Keepower, etc).

If you dabble in li-on technology, especially if not from a retailer with a proven track record it behooves you to do some serious reading on the subject and be VERY VERY careful about what you buy and who you buy it from unless you are fully aware of what you are dabbling with.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I don't smoke and I don't vape. However, I do use medical cannabis. At the moment I smoke it; I hate it, but I do. I'm working on a transition to some kind of vaping system but it's still a work in progress because we're trying to figure out how to make our own juice.

Thing is, I won't even take a low dose before diving. I just don't trust my judgment with anything under my belt. So I let the cold water numb the pain while I'm down there, then dose myself afterward. I haven't found any particular problems respiratory-wise, and I could probably get away with a hit or two before a dive if I was hurting badly enough. But I prefer not to take the chance.

Maybe a little off-topic but pot was mentioned, so it seemed like the place to chime in for whatever it's worth.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com