WWII Bomber at 200 feet in Lake Washington

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Ken G
I've Got Gills

WWII Bomber at 200 feet in Lake Washington

Post by Ken G »

Here is a link to a newsletter put out by the Submerged Cultural Resources Exploration Team.

It is regarding a Grumman TBF-1 Avenger that went down in Lake Washigton in 1942 . There are photos and sonar images included.

http://www.scret.org/newsletters/2005-Issue-1.pdf

It is a very interesting site and also has info about wrecks in the sound that can be dived. Check it out!

kgdiver
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

That is so cool! Thanks for posting it. I built a model of that plane when I was a kid- I love WWII aircraft. Cool to know there's one right here in Lake Washington. Sad to think about the guy who died, but neat to see the plane.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

That looks sweet. When are we going? :bounce:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

As soon as I'm as comfortable at 200' as I am at 100'! Maybe I can use the propane canister off my grill to make some Tri-Mix home brew! What do you guys think? I bet it's pretty safe.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Calvin wrote:That looks sweet. When are we going? :bounce:
That would be a cool dive except I dont think anyones gonna give out GPS location.... thats why itsa a scret... There was also an article on that aircraft in the latest edition on advanced diver. John Rawlings and Mel Clark were featured in that article..
Who run barter town?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Looks like it's time to start twisting John's arm :axe:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

diverdown wrote:
Calvin wrote:That looks sweet. When are we going? :bounce:
That would be a cool dive except I dont think anyones gonna give out GPS location.... thats why itsa a scret... There was also an article on that aircraft in the latest edition on advanced diver. John Rawlings and Mel Clark were featured in that article..
Actually, that article in ADM was about the P4Y-2 Privateer wreck. It is a far larger 4 engine bomber than the single engine Avenger described in the link above and is in approximately 155 - 150 FFW.

There are, in fact, several aircraft deep in Lake Washington....but if I told you the coordinates I'd have to kill you! HA! :axe:

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/