200 Year Old Anchor Found off Whidbey Island

General banter about diving and why we love it.
BillZ
Aquanaut

200 Year Old Anchor Found off Whidbey Island

Post by BillZ »

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: 200 Year Old Anchor Found off Whidbey Island

Post by Joshua Smith »

Hmm- the name in those photo credits looks familiar….
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Is this the same anchor whose discovery was discussed here earlier? If so it might be wise to do a little searching and redact the posts that describe it's location until it is recovered. I'd hate to see some idiot who subscribes to the Times go out searching for a lawn ornament if there is a plan for archaeological preservation afoot.

Edit to add:
I see that somebody has just posted story about a different lost anchor. You guys diving Deception Pass should keep your eyes peeled.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

It's been recovered and there's an article with photosin the Seattle Times. Hopefully our friends with photo credits will come fill us in.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

It sure looks interesting.
Almost like the one found at Keystone. That one is still there for you to enjoy :)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

renoun wrote:It's been recovered and there's an article with photosin the Seattle Times. Hopefully our friends with photo credits will come fill us in.
Great article!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

:) It's been a hectic couple days but I'll post a full report from the diving point of view in a day or three...

We (a production company named Trifilm and BTLG) are making a documentary of the adventure - which other than the anchor salvage has really only just begun, so I'll also add some fun behind the scenes anecdotes from the production. Now I'm scheduling the interviews with historians. They are fascinating, some folks who've made it their whole lives work to study things like this. Its been a great learning experience for me, from the very simple things about what was important on these vessels during long trips, to wee bit of metallurgy, to the vibrant history that was abounding in the late 1700's in this area. It was a busy busy place full of commerce and ship traffic.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Very cool, I am looking to hearing more about this!!!
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

It's on display at the Maritime Center here in Port Townsend, in a [mucky] tank. Pretty cool.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

We will be trying to keep this up to date with news stories..

https://www.facebook.com/anchordiscovery

Everything is happening so fast right now...

On the 20th from 6-8pm, Scott Grimm from Anchor Ventures, LLC will be presenting his theories at the NW Maritime Center in Port Townsend. There is a recommended donation of 5-10$ at the door. Seats can be reserved via Brown Paper Tickets, I will post link shortly.
----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Anchor is now on display at MOHAI. It will be there until July 11th. Amateur Historian Scott Grimm will be defending his premise that it is Vancouver's anchor tonight starting at 6:30pm.
----