H2O SCUBA Show

General banter about diving and why we love it.
DanClements
Just Settling In

H2O SCUBA Show

Post by DanClements »

We were unable to make the revamped Dive Expo in Seattle this year. Any feedback on how it went, attendance, exhibitors, etc? We are working on putting on an underwater photo/video event at Town Hall in October called Salish Sea Celebration, so any comments might help us. I see very few comments so far.

Thanks!
Dan Clements
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: H2O SCUBA Show

Post by Dusty2 »

It went badly because of the location. It was smaller than last year and attendance was way down. For me putting an event in Seattle is just plain bad because of the crowding and lack of parking. I for one will not attend any event in Seattle. It is just not worth the hassle.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

The promotion for it was pretty much nonexistent. They didn't even bother to throw up a Facebook page for it, which is free and takes about 5 minutes, let alone any paid advertising that I'm aware of. We probably would have given them a free ad on this site if they'd asked nicely.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

I'd like to see some actual attendance numbers. From where I sat (all day, both days) I'd say the first day was pretty good and much better than in Tacoma the previous year. Sunday was dead on our side, but the middle aisles were usually crowded.
Parking wasn't an issue, as all the spaces for cruise ship passengers were available.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I was underwhelmed. I went there to talk with Divetech (wasnt there), to talk with Sea Dragon (wasnt there), only thing noteable were the Shearwater NERDS (Daddy wants!), and a prototpye scooter at another booth. Oh, the go pro housing was pretty trick, but big dinero.

Parking and the shuttle were a piece of cake.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Joshua Smith wrote:The promotion for it was pretty much nonexistent. They didn't even bother to throw up a Facebook page for it, which is free and takes about 5 minutes, let alone any paid advertising that I'm aware of. We probably would have given them a free ad on this site if they'd asked nicely.
The irony was that they DID have a page (https://www.facebook.com/ScubaH2Oshow?ref=ts&fref=ts) but at various times I found their own website, and links, were iffy. I wasn't able to attend. I know some were bummed there was no treasure hunt dive.
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

It was difficult to find their information when you knew the dates. I didn't attend and will have to be honest here, if you can't get a reliable word out, then it indicates to me that it isn't worth the drive. If it was close I would have stopped by, but since it was a drive and it wasn't advertised well, I was a little worried about the turn out.
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

My brother (Alexitt) and I went on Saturday. The location was nice for him as an Everett resident, "Meh" for me coming from Gig Harbor. Obviously I would like Tacoma better, but oh well... Parking was $10 but easy with plenty of shuttle service back & forth. There were definitely fewer vendors there, but the mix was nicer IMO. A couple of outfits that do rafting and kayaking as well as the dive stuff. Only limited food but the beer was just fine :)

All in all, we thought it was not bad, for a first trial at a new location with a new/expanded goal that includes the surface sports too. I'd love to get actual kayak demo time, if they can find a location that can accomodate that then maybe the treasure hunt could be done too, for those who want it.

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."