Coelacanth discoverer dies in diving accident.

General banter about diving and why we love it.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Coelacanth discoverer dies in diving accident.

Post by kdupreez »

The 2 divers who discovered the Coelacanth "Living Fossil" colony in South Africa both died today in a tragic diving accident while attempting a recovery of "lost research equipment".

Not a lot of details yet, but it being my home country and knowing the divers, its a sad sad day…

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/ ... 6OH7RapgbY

Above article is a little grimm, but this one gives a good tribute to Peter.

http://www.news24.com/Travel/South-Afri ... m-20140619

R.I.P Peter Timm :(
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Coelacanth discoverer dies in diving accident.

Post by Joshua Smith »

That is sad. Condolences. From what I've been able to glean, it sounds like his partner had some kind of uncontrolled ascent? And perhaps he followed her up?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
SealScott
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SealScott »

My heart goes out to you, Koos. Mourn their passing, celebrate their lives.

Thank you for including the second article. When events like this happen, it's easy to get too focused on the whats and the whys... forgetting to recognize the who. Peter, he experienced things that the rest of us will only see images of, and passed in a moment of selfless compassion.
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

Reading about the coelacanth was one of the first moments when I really started to become fascinated with the sea. This is really sad.