Dive flag (deep boat) float

General banter about diving and why we love it.
MorningDiverBob
Dive-aholic

Dive flag (deep boat) float

Post by MorningDiverBob »

I heard about Dive deep boat flag float at T-Dock couple days ago and no longer ? I went there for check today. It left on ground by the stair. I sent PM to man who bulid it. Anyone know a happen ?

Thanks.
Go Dive and Dive Safe
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Re: Dive flag (deep boat) float

Post by Emilyrc »

The marker buoy is by the stairs?
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

I wonder if the barrel that was at 20 feet that the float attached to is still there?

Mike
MorningDiverBob
Dive-aholic

Emilyrc wrote:The marker buoy is by the stairs?
Yes, buoy with some chain and rope.
Rockfish wrote:I wonder if the barrel that was at 20 feet that the float attached to is still there?

Mike
No black barrel there. I checked in water and some chain and rope still on the bottom. I investigated and look like broken rope but I haven't look another rope/chain with bouy. I will back on Thursday morning.
Go Dive and Dive Safe
SealScott
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SealScott »

The buoy is old and sunk not that long ago... it needs to be replaced. I'm gonna ask around in my circles and see if any of the groups are interested in investing in a replacement.

Let me know if anyone here is planning on doing something, so the efforts are not duplicated.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

Many, many years ago my dive buddy and I put the first ascent / descent line in and we used a 30 gallon barrel (Ed's Surplus in Lynnwood) and we set it around 20 feet deep. From there we ran a line to the surface with a bouy attached. One of the things we realized after doing this was that due to the tides the bouy ends up getting wrapped around the barrel so we had to set it up so that it would swivel. I am sure that there are many different ways to do this. There are a lot of clever people on here and I am sure that someone probably has a better way of doing it.

Mike
MorningDiverBob
Dive-aholic

I took old ropes from bottom and left them at 50'. Two ropes were worn out and broken. Chains remain on bottom for fix and reinstall later. I go back tomorrow 6/27 for measure chains and I'll figure out.
Go Dive and Dive Safe
MorningDiverBob
Dive-aholic

MorningDiverBob wrote: Chains I go back tomorrow 6/27 for measure chains and I'll figure out.
This morning 6/27, I am stuck at home with my teens... My wife work #-o . I'll go next week.
Go Dive and Dive Safe
SealScott
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SealScott »

I'm working with "the man" of dive buoys, Mr. Randy with a "Y" ;-) We are pulling our resources together to line up a nice visible buoy/dive site marker. A team of us are going out there this weekend to check it out.
MorningDiverBob
Dive-aholic

SealScott wrote:I'm working with "the man" of dive buoys, Mr. Randy with a "Y" ;-) We are pulling our resources together to line up a nice visible buoy/dive site marker. A team of us are going out there this weekend to check it out.
Need to change a (no need cut) old first chain (almost worn out) with second good chain attach anchor shakle below a dive flag float. Hope a team check and fix good buoy.
Go Dive and Dive Safe
SealScott
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SealScott »

Need to change a (no need cut) old first chain (almost worn out) with second good chain attach anchor shakle below a dive flag float. Hope a team check and fix good buoy.[/quote]

We came to the same conclusion after yesterday's inspection dive. At least the block is still there (under the watchful eye of "The Man" - who's kinda creepy to come up on in low viz).
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Post by finnegankp »

This same thing has happened at Cove 1. The marker buoy has gone missing and not sure if there are any plans to replace it. That said, there appears to actually be 2 buoys over in Cove 2 that are fairly close to each other. Anyone know what the regulations are on moving a buoy? Do you know if there are any efforts being done to replace the one at Cove 1?
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

finnegankp wrote:This same thing has happened at Cove 1. The marker buoy has gone missing and not sure if there are any plans to replace it.
Most of the boundary line and buoy maintenance at the coves has been a volunteer effort, officially coordinated with Seattle Parks, by the Marker Buoy Dive Club. Randy Williams (RDW here) lead the effort to rehab the boundary line two summers ago and may know if any work is being planned. I certainly enjoyed helping until my dry suit leaks became untenable.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
SSpiffyDiver
Avid Diver

Post by SSpiffyDiver »

I have another slick that I could use to make a replacement. I have a couple of ideas for improvement as well. What I don't have is the sheet stainless I used for the "flag" part of it. If anyone has something that will work, let me know and I'll try to get started on it next week.

I found out that it was sitting on the shore the day before I left for DC for two weeks. Since I don't have the race car anymore, I don't have a trailer and it sounded like it was in a safe place, so I didn't rent a trailer to get it home. I guess not...

Currently with pulled muscles that make donning gear a thing I can't do, should be healed up in a week or two.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I have a couple of mooring buoys sitting in my garage that I would be willing to donate. PM me if any of you want to try to use one. Just be patient. I'm living on my boat now and only have internet access when I am in a port that has wifi. I will be home for a couple of days in early August and could hand a buoy over before we take off again.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Please let me know if you need any help with this project. I am certain I can rally up quite a few people.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**