Cove 2 Shower?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Cove 2 Shower?

Post by RVbldr »

Anyone know the story on the Cove 2 shower? Per one of the local fishermen, we were told that due to chlorinated freshwater dumping to the saltwater, the EPA shut down the shower. Any truth on that one? Seems kind of strange with the superfund site nearby! :angry:
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Re: Cove 2 Shower?

Post by finnegankp »

Definitely not the case. I was out there no more than 2 weeks ago and the shower was turned on and functioning perfectly. I will be out there this weekend as well and will report back once I get more info.
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Post by RVbldr »

This was as of this morning. Couple weeks ago it was fine. This is a new change.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

More water from washing cars with chlorinated water gets into there, than from that shower...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

It was on Tuesday night.
mheyns
Avid Diver

Post by mheyns »

Was definitely off, and seemingly DISCONNECTED this morning.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I will pursue this, give me a bit. It might take awhile to get an answer from public affairs.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

RVbldr wrote:Anyone know the story on the Cove 2 shower? Per one of the local fishermen, we were told that due to chlorinated freshwater dumping to the saltwater, the EPA shut down the shower. Any truth on that one? Seems kind of strange with the superfund site nearby! :angry:
What is the "superfund site", I have not heard of that one yet?
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Read 'em and quake.
http://www.epa.gov/superfund/sites/npl/nar1622.htm
http://yosemite.epa.gov/R10/CLEANUP.NSF ... s+&+Photos
And people eat seafood from Elliot and Commencement Bay!

For an extensive list:
http://www.publicintegrity.org/2007/05/ ... fund-sites

Note-The shower is courtesy of Jack Connick (Optical Oceans) working with Kathy Whitman (Aquatics Manager, Parks) on the Cove 2 boundary system. This was an 'upgrade' specifically for divers.
There is a significant history many folks no longer know about when the now ubiquitous Water Taxi first move in to Cove 2 and shut it down for the dive community. It took a lot of work to open it back up and continued work to keep it functional and safe.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Posted sign at Seacrest
Posted sign at Seacrest
I called Carol Baker-she is Dist. Maint. Super for Parks. The cited Federal clean water act does not allow chlorinated water to be discharged directly into the Sound as trivial as this amount is. It's being mandated across all of Parks activities where this could be happening.
She 'gets it' but Parks has been cited by the Feds and this is above her head. Kathy Whitman is also aware of it. They are trying to find a solution that allows the shower to function and still follow the law.
I've given her my name and asked if there is someone else 'higher up' to try to engage for this problem.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I suppose that means the showers at Redondo are doomed, as well?
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

The solution is simple ... have the shower drain into a pipe that runs into the nearby sewer system. The water will then not drain directly into Puget Sound ... it will be mixed with the 14 million gallons of polluted stormwater runoff and 9 million pounds of dog poop that gets dumped directly into Puget Sound every year.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Bob-don't you work for water treatment or some such?
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

fmerkel wrote:Bob-don't you work for water treatment or some such?
City of Tacoma, Environmental Services ... wastewater treatment

Unlike Seattle, our stormwater facilities are separate from wastewater

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Does that mean Tacoma is (gasp) ahead of Seattle in water treatment!?

Just talked to Kathy Whitman (Parks). She reinforced that this mandate came from the Feds. Parks also tried to argue that it didn't make a lot of sense but was shut down. Seems there is no compromise on this issue.The man who is potentially responsible for coming up with a workable solution is on administrative sick leave right now, so she does not anticipate being able to address this for a couple weeks at least.

FWIW, this mandate also applies to things like fireman opening hydrants that drain directly into storm water, and kiddie pools when they change the water. This is a pretty trivial amount of water as I see it. The fireman have to lay down anti-chlorination tablets in the water path (they get some slack for being an emergency service). The kiddie pools have to be shut down, treated for chlorine, then drained. There are other areas (pressure washing, etc.) that are needing to be addressed over this issue.

Fritz
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Grateful Diver wrote:The solution is simple ... have the shower drain into a pipe that runs into the nearby sewer system. The water will then not drain directly into Puget Sound ... it will be mixed with the 14 million gallons of polluted stormwater runoff and 9 million pounds of dog poop that gets dumped directly into Puget Sound every year.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I, for one, would feel a lot better about doing it this way. But then I'm sooooooo green.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I for one feel a lot better bringing my own rinse water in a couple gallon jugs ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Grateful Diver wrote:I for one feel a lot better bringing my own rinse water in a couple gallon jugs ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
As long as you aren't standing near the water when you rinse.... :penelope:
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Post by RVbldr »

Need to let it hit the parking lot and wash down all the oils and rubber before finding it's way into C2. Jeeze... Maybe those showers are the root cause for the sunstar die-off. :eek: (no, I'm not serious!)
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Just dont pee in the shower :)
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

dwashbur wrote:I suppose that means the showers at Redondo are doomed, as well?
And the fresh water rinse stations for boats/engines at launch ramps? All that water seems to head directly to the sound as well. For that matter, all fresh water faucets at any of our local docks and marinas, right? Lots of boats moored in Puget Sound that are washed regularly with fresh (chlorinated, I'm guessing) water.
DiveZen
Frequent Bubbler

Post by DiveZen »

fmerkel wrote:
Just talked to Kathy Whitman (Parks). She reinforced that this mandate came from the Feds. Parks also tried to argue that it didn't make a lot of sense but was shut down. Seems there is no compromise on this issue.The man who is potentially responsible for coming up with a workable solution is on administrative sick leave right now, so she does not anticipate being able to address this for a couple weeks at least.

Fritz
As opposed to me pinging Cathy or Kathy, I wonder if you can get the name of the federal representative that is mandating these "useful" changes to our water quality? Seems like we could also make our opinion heard to his or her management.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I requested that info. If I find out I'll let folks know.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

fmerkel wrote:Just talked to Kathy Whitman (Parks). She reinforced that this mandate came from the Feds. Parks also tried to argue that it didn't make a lot of sense but was shut down.

Fritz
[sarcasm]I am feeling so safe and secure knowing that our omniscient governmental overlords are watching out for us since they so obviously know what is best and we are all brainless idiots.[/sarcasm]

Back to my tinfoil hat...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Just don't mention any marina and water use by boat owners. I would hate not being able to hose down my boat after a day on the water. I also wonder how the park services or a marina will wash bird crap off the docks?
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com