Absurd question for the ladies

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Siennalg
Getting To Know Folks

Absurd question for the ladies

Post by Siennalg »

I have a ridiculous question. I am going diving in the Bahamas for my honeymoon. I plan on getting my nails done for the wedding and am looking at designs that have sparkle or rhinestones just on the ring finger nails. I know it's a bad idea to wear jewelry because it sparkles and looks like a fish, but what about having sparkle on just a couple of my nails? Is it a bad idea? Unfortunately I won't have time to get them removed before I leave.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Absurd question for the ladies

Post by LowDrag »

I personally don't know but I am looking forward to some of your answers. Happy Honeymoon!!!
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

I can't imagine it's any worse than say, a dive knife or the first stage of a regulator. I personally wouldn't worry about it, but you could always pack a light pair of gloves or even a bit of masking tape to put over your fingers if you're worried about it.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Don't worry about it.

I dove the junkyard in W. Seattle once, and the viz was exceptional on a sunny day (40+ feet). We were swimming out over the eelgrass in the shallows, heading to the site, when I saw a flatfish (of all things) cruising over the top of the grass. It spotted me, changed course, and headed right towards me. IT WENT RIGHT FOR MY FACE! Nipped at my shiny new bolt snap hanging from my primary second stage!...decided it wasn't delicious, and then cruised off. In all my years of diving, both local and tropical, it's the only time I've had a critter interested in something shiny on my gear or person.

Have fun! And congratulations on your wedding!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I would go with the lite glove idea. They will protect your nails from damage and protect you hands from stingy things.
Iver
Just Settling In

Post by Iver »

First, I am not a lady, but most of all congratulations.

You could use light weight gloves, inexpensive from several home-like stores. I use some for diving float based dives in warm environments to avoid hand cuts.

Another approach is to put your hand(s) in your bc pockets when times require. In most cases, you should not have a problem, just be aware. Look around you, as all should do in any diving. I have been in a school of barracuda and put my wedding ring hand in my bc pocket just so some innocent fish did not "make a fool of her/him-self".

And of course, I hope you enjoy all your diving.

Iver
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

I just got back from a cruise and a lot of places you will not be able to wear gloves so that you do not get tempted to grab the reef. I think the masking tape idea would work well.
Siennalg
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Siennalg »

Well my fingers and I survived and we did a shark dive while we were there too. I just kept my hands behind my back most of the time.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Yay!

How was the diving?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!