Any Lawyers out there???

General banter about diving and why we love it.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Any Lawyers out there???

Post by pensacoladiver »

"Pretty simple question"'followed up with "probably" in the answer.

I can't be the only one to see the irony in this.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Not sure there can ever be a "for sure" answer as it relates to liability and law... Seems like just about anyone can try to sue if they feel they have a reasonable chance at it. So, probably is "probably" a good word for it...
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Penny -- of course that is an ironic answer and thank you for noticing!

The reality is that the QUESTION is pretty simple -- the answer, because it is a legal one, can't be made without a qualifier. The law is pretty simple -- but once you start adding facts, oh well.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

When I heard the details of the sledding accident, from my perspective, this should have been a half day trial and a 10" jury deliberation. EVERYONE that I tell that story to, and I try to do so in a neutral tone to see what the independent opinion will be, wonders why there was even a trial. But, of course I tell the story to divers, skiers, climbers, windsurfers, and the like.

It's getting off the OP question but it became evident that the jury selection process was about trying to color the jury toward the results that each side desired. Taling to the defending lawyer after the trial she said it wasn't a matter of SELECTING a jury, the focus was DE-SELECTING jurors you thought would be against you. This portion of the 'non-trial' is absolutely critical in the outcome and is a big portion of the lawyers skill and art.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
archisgore
Aquaphile

Post by archisgore »

Fritz, your post on facebook was read by me over and over again, and I use it as a reference in everything I've been doing since then. It was concerning, but knowing that it could happen was helpful. I have some reference of what actually does happen in a trial of this sort.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

The whole process was a revelation to me on a lot of fronts. Being medical and no where near legal, I had a pretty naive notion of how the law worked in cases like this. It wasn't helped a lot by a good number of lawyers giving me different opinions. Now I understand a lot more why the whole process is almost as much opinion as it is based on some massively complex process called 'law'.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.