Coast Guard rescues diver off Neah Bay

General banter about diving and why we love it.
straitscuba
Aquaphile

Coast Guard rescues diver off Neah Bay

Post by straitscuba »

This showed up in the local paper today.

http://peninsuladailynews.com/article/2 ... e-flattery
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Coast Guard rescues diver off Neah Bay

Post by Tom Nic »

Interesting.

Big water, fog quickly rolling in, surprised this doesn't happen more often.

No way to tell from the article whether this was a risky dive gone wrong or whether conditions changed so fast (fog rolling in) that there was nothing that could be done. For most captains thick fog is a non-starter for putting divers in the water, for (what to me, anyway) are obvious reasons.

At least he had a live boat so that someone could call for help when they couldn't find him.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

I was out on the strait in Bill Mitton's boat on Tuesday. Bill turned the boat around because of the conditions. There was forcasted 8-10 MPH Winds. The fog rolled in and out quickly on Tuesday, but the swells were also a major major concern. We actually left the hook based on reports that weather conditions were okay near the DK, but it didnt' take Bill very long to decide that they were outside his comfort zone, and that's an opinion I trust a lot.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
straitscuba
Aquaphile

Post by straitscuba »

Were you one of the divers that ended up doing the rockpile on Tuesday? He called to ask me about some alternates but I was painting my house and didn't catch the phone until it was too late and since it has been a few years since I have done the rockpile I was curious what you thought of it. I was finishing up a class out at Salt Creek on Monday and saw you guys dancing with Lu Jacs Quest out over the Knot wishing I was out there! Vis at Salt Creek was AMAZING!
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

We did do the rockpile on Tuesday. It was an interesting dive, it was definately better than not diving at all. We saw several octopi, and tiger rock fish. The black rockfish were so abundant that even I, a simple bubble blower, felt like I was diving CCR because I could reach out and shew fish out of theway! There was more structure than I was expecting there and the visitiblity was great. When we dropped in the water you could see the anemones at 30 feet from the surface clear as day. Made for a good dive. It surely wasn't the diamond knot though.

Monday was an epic day. The visibility was fantastic. There was one moment when I went to the stern and could just get a good view of the super structure and the way the wreck is lying. It was just so incredible to see the wreck in all her glory ina way you just rarely get to see it. We saw wolf eels out swimming, octos going for a stroll, ling cod the size of school buses. There were a lot of divers there that day though with the Lu Jacs Quest full as well. Fantastic weekend.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan