Good Kelp Diving Locations?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
SeahorseDeb
Avid Diver

Good Kelp Diving Locations?

Post by SeahorseDeb »

I usually lurk here, now I've got a topic. :partydance:

I used to dive Eagle Cove up on San Juan Island, loved it, that was when I lived in Bothell. My drive is from Spokane... I'm interested in a good site or two that's not as far north that I can manage on a 3 day weekend. Otherwise I go to Catalina occasionally to satisfy my kelp diving a-holic urges. I need something more local...

Thankyou!
Why is the water so green......
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Re: Good Kelp Diving Locations?

Post by Jeremy »

San Juans are great for kelp in the summer....as are many sites along the Strait of Juan de Fuca from Pt Townsend to Salt Creek to Sekiu to Neah Bay.

You can often get some kelp action in at Keystone if you want to cheat and not drive quite as far. Rosario has quite a bit too.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I dove Eagle Cove earlier this summer and absolutely loved it. Probably was my favorite dive on San Juan.
SeahorseDeb
Avid Diver

Post by SeahorseDeb »

Thankyou Jeremy, I am looking for something closer. I haven't been to EC in over 20 years, in fact I don't know if I could find the road again..but maybe it's paved now too!

I haven't dove Keystone yet, it's been on my list for several years but I understand it's current sensitive....but kelp does like current. How's the current at Rosario?
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

SeahorseDeb wrote:Thankyou Jeremy, I am looking for something closer. I haven't been to EC in over 20 years, in fact I don't know if I could find the road again..but maybe it's paved now too!

I haven't dove Keystone yet, it's been on my list for several years but I understand it's current sensitive....but kelp does like current. How's the current at Rosario?
Inside the two bays...pretty negligible. Outside the point or over by Northwest Island can be current sensitive.
SeahorseDeb
Avid Diver

Post by SeahorseDeb »

Thankyou!!!! Trip to Keystone planned on 10/12 and we will splash at 15:00.