Lumpies and Stubbies

General banter about diving and why we love it.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Lumpies and Stubbies

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
I've got a friend of mine, a photography mentor of mine, who's coming up from California in a couple weeks to come diving in the Sound. He really wants to get pictures of Lumpsuckers and of Stubby Squid. Has anybody seen those recently around anywhere? Redondo seems the obvious place, but I haven't been there too much lately. Looking for confirmed recent sightings.

Thanks!
-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Re: Lumpies and Stubbies

Post by pogiguy05 »

I seen a stubby squid on our second dive yesterday at Redondo. I went to get Keith's attention and when I looked back there was only a PUFF of silt where he was sitting on the bottom. I have yet to see any Lumpies. Since he is not from here he will probably see a six gill. :tomnic:
Jeff Castor
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

rather large stubby at Cove 2 the other evening... 55' of water on the boundary line hanging out on the foliage :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Night Dive last weekend netted 3 stubbies and 1 pipefish. No Lumpies or snailfish. I think it's a bit early for them. Maybe Nov?
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

I found 4 juvenile Lumpies at Day Island on 9/18, on our way in after we had crested the wall around 45fsw. They were on/under the purple/red kelp leaves, similar to how we find them at TTN.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Just looks like we need to dive 3TN and Redondo to find out :smt064
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Dove TTN last Sunday with Scubie Doo, splashed around 5:30pm. No Stubbies or Lumpies were found...

For my money, a night dive at Redondo is a near sure bet for finding Stubbies. We're getting close to Lumpy hunting season there too. Night dive in the eelgrass to the north of Salty's, or south of the boat ramp are both good options.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

mpenders wrote:Dove TTN last Sunday with Scubie Doo, splashed around 5:30pm. No Stubbies or Lumpies were found...

For my money, a night dive at Redondo is a near sure bet for finding Stubbies. We're getting close to Lumpy hunting season there too. Night dive in the eelgrass to the north of Salty's, or south of the boat ramp are both good options.
+1
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Lumpies should start showing up in the shallows at Redondo around mid-October. At first they'll be fairly small, but they should be easy enough to find.

Stubbies are down in the south bottle field, but you have to plan to spend some time in the 70-90 foot range looking for them.

Both are more easily found on night dives ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Thanks everybody. My buddy is coming on the 18th, so we'll cross our fingers for lumpies arriving by then :)

Anybody know of any good salmon snorkeling around that time too?

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!