Mukilteo Meeting - any info?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Mukilteo Meeting - any info?

Post by Norris »

I was unable to make the meeting concerning the Mukilteo plans for oil dock and potential dive site. Did anyone attend? Any updates?
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Mukilteo Meeting - any info?

Post by LCF »

I attended. They have ambitious plans for the waterfront, but it's clear that they don't really want divers at the Silver Cloud site. They have proposed a marine park adjacent to Edgewater Park, which as I understand it is very similar topography to Edmonds -- a shallow silt slope. According to one of the audience, the access point to the water that would be closest to the parking is mud :(
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

LCF wrote:I attended. They have ambitious plans for the waterfront, but it's clear that they don't really want divers at the Silver Cloud site. They have proposed a marine park adjacent to Edgewater Park, which as I understand it is very similar topography to Edmonds -- a shallow silt slope. According to one of the audience, the access point to the water that would be closest to the parking is mud :(
I dived the Edgewater Park site many times before it was closed to build the Boeing pier. You are absolutely right about the bottom, and at extremely low tides the mud made entry impossible unless one walked around the corner towards the old fuel pier. Like Edmonds, it was a surface swim to get deep enough to descend. A dive club tried to dress up the place by sinking several steel hulled fishing boats and building a bunch of tire reefs spaced out (I remember seven of them). For a time the T-dock was closed to public access but I found it fun to loop around at Edgewater to see who occupied the different sites. I haven't been back since they closed the area but a scootering buddy says the artificial reef stuff has been removed. I'm not diving any more, but I always thought that the site of the current ferry dock would be a great dive once the ferry is moved. Good luck on this.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

They built the new Boeing pier right over the boat reef. It is located right in the middle of where the barges are moored and they really do not like divers at that site. Don't ask me how I know.

Mike
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Something I learned today about the parking at the north end of the Silver Cloud motel. I'm talking about the four public parking spots on the north end of the motel, you know the spots that don't allow parking from 2:00 - 4:00 (or something like that) otherwise it's a four hour limit, plus the two spots along the north side of the lot.

The motel has made a deal with the city as overflow parking for motel guests.

This morning at 8:00 am there were only three open spots available, the rest were used by motel guests.

Just an FYI
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

johndo88 wrote:Something I learned today about the parking at the north end of the Silver Cloud motel. I'm talking about the four public parking spots on the north end of the motel, you know the spots that don't allow parking from 2:00 - 4:00 (or something like that) otherwise it's a four hour limit, plus the two spots along the north side of the lot.

The motel has made a deal with the city as overflow parking for motel guests.

This morning at 8:00 am there were only three open spots available, the rest were used by motel guests.

Just an FYI
How do you know the hotel made a deal with the city over those spots? I know I've seen both hotel guests and staff park there in the past and nobody stopped them (it's public parking), but some sort of deal with the city is news.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Nwbrewer wrote:How do you know the hotel made a deal with the city over those spots? I know I've seen both hotel guests and staff park there in the past and nobody stopped them (it's public parking), but some sort of deal with the city is news.
That is an excellent question. I stayed at the Silver Cloud Saturday night and was talking with the manager there Sunday morning.

<Tongue in cheek> Hey, you think my post would have made more sense if I started with "I was taking with the manager at the Silver Cloud and I learned something new...." </Tongue in cheek> :smt064