Where are you diving this weekend?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Where are you diving this weekend?

Post by YellowEye »

Where's everybody diving this weekend?
(or where did you dive today?)
:smt064
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Re: Where are you diving this weekend?

Post by stphnmartin »

I think I'm going to hit cove 2 around 5:30pm today for an early night dive. Haven't been diving much lately and need some camera practice.
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

We did the Shilshole Barges this morning - Unfortunately I woke up with a nasty head cold so I volunteered to tend the boat.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

BillZ wrote:We did the Shilshole Barges this morning - Unfortunately I woke up with a nasty head cold so I volunteered to tend the boat.
Hope you feel better soon! How are those barges? I've never done them before.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

YellowEye wrote:
BillZ wrote:We did the Shilshole Barges this morning - Unfortunately I woke up with a nasty head cold so I volunteered to tend the boat.
Hope you feel better soon! How are those barges? I've never done them before.
This would have been my first time on them.. but they look really cool on my structure scan :-)

Everybody was really geeked after the dive. There are actually three wrecks at the same location; The vertical barge (it rests somewhat on its side) the horizontal barge and the Omar, a 40 ft tug. I guess they are covered in plumose anemones and surrounded by schools of tiny fish.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

They are fun to scooter but I don't know anyone swimming all three in 1 dive. Navigating via scooter is a bit iffy, esp the horizontal to vertical barge leg (of the triangle) which is the longest. At one time we had a line out there connecting all three wrecks, but I'm sure its long gone now. Is the "stone cold stroke" still there near the south end of the vertical barge? Next to the big concrete block? The vertical barge is actually on its side, the gravel cargo that caused it to capsize is on the west side.

Personally I can report that Benson Lake (Mason County) is still slightly warm, maybe 60F. Vis 12-15ft. Soft bottom, fairly shallow a fair ways out from the WDFW boat ramp/access point. I only hit 23ft. Bottom is weedy, lots of small (4" long) bass...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

We did KVI, Normandy Beach wreck AKA Desmoines wreck and Alki Rock piles AKA Alki Fishing reef on Sunday.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

ohopdiver wrote:We did KVI, Normandy Beach wreck AKA Desmoines wreck and Alki Rock piles AKA Alki Fishing reef on Sunday.
Cool! I haven't heard of the Normandy beach wreck. Any good?
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

YellowEye wrote:
ohopdiver wrote:We did KVI, Normandy Beach wreck AKA Des Moines wreck and Alki Rock piles AKA Alki Fishing reef on Sunday.
Cool! I haven't heard of the Normandy beach wreck. Any good?

See my new photo share and Google Des Moines wreck for on-line descriptions.
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

CaptnJack wrote:They are fun to scooter but I don't know anyone swimming all three in 1 dive. Navigating via scooter is a bit iffy, esp the horizontal to vertical barge leg (of the triangle) which is the longest. At one time we had a line out there connecting all three wrecks, but I'm sure its long gone now. Is the "stone cold stroke" still there near the south end of the vertical barge? Next to the big concrete block? The vertical barge is actually on its side, the gravel cargo that caused it to capsize is on the west side.
I've done all three plus the rock swimming on an AL 80 but it was just a touch-and-go NAV exercise, you don't get to see much. Others have also done it. The Glacial Rock is interesting by itself, 20 ft high and about 25 ft wide with Warbonnets and Grunt Sculpins. Also check out the big engine on the north side of the Horizontal barge. Sometimes a wolfie is inside the attached tank. See the Sonar image under "Shilshole Wrecks" in the Dive Site section.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Uphill, both ways, in the snow I'm sure.

The sand on the deep (NW) end of the horizontal barge is pushing 105ft deep on a high tide, 92ish on a low. "Swimming all three" on an AL80 sounds like great fun. Perhaps the navy seals should invest in slightly larger tanks.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

Sorry for the misunderstanding and causing this thread to go off course. It's more about the muscle in your hood. I'm 5 ft 7, 170 lbs and was about 60 years old at the time. That's not quite Seal material. The navigation exercise was to touch each of the the 4, Rock-Omar-Hbarge-Vbarge-Rock. Staying off the bottom and minimizing the time at each object helps.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

CaptnJack wrote:They are fun to scooter but I don't know anyone swimming all three in 1 dive. Navigating via scooter is a bit iffy, esp the horizontal to vertical barge leg (of the triangle) which is the longest. At one time we had a line out there connecting all three wrecks, but I'm sure its long gone now. Is the "stone cold stroke" still there near the south end of the vertical barge? Next to the big concrete block? The vertical barge is actually on its side, the gravel cargo that caused it to capsize is on the west side.
I asked - The line between the wrecks is gone and they didn't see stroke.