Shampoo!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Shampoo!

Post by ScubaJess »

Anyone know a good shampoo to use after diving? My hair seems kinda dry from the saltwater.

I have long curly hair, I'm thinking of cutting it super short to help get my dry suit on easier.
Any tips would be appreciated!!!

I hope you all have a great dive weekend!
I had 2 dives today at Cove 2 and 4 dives at Sund Rock on Thursday' it's been fantastic!
Attachments
Sund Rock
Sund Rock
Alki Cove 2
Alki Cove 2
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Shampoo!

Post by Penopolypants »

I don't have any recommendations on shampoo, but I use either Biolage's Conditioning Balm ( or Bed Head's Dumb Blonde conditioner ( after washing with whatever shampoo I have available. I keep my hair in a pony tail from the beginning of the day, rinse it with fresh water if I can after diving without bothering to take it out of the band, and then wash thoroughly when I get home and leave the conditioner in for 5 minutes or so. I have fairly fragile, baby fine straight hair and this has worked well for me and others with various hair types over the years that I have recommended it to. Perhaps someone with curly hair will chime in though.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I found that using the Garnier leave-in conditioner after diving helped a lot. I also carry a jug of water with me to rinse the salt out of my hair as quickly as possible.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

All of the feminine advice is of course what you should listen to. That being said....

Since I use a Baby Shampoo as mask defog there have been a couple of times on a boat where we just used the same on our heads!

It sure beats post dive wet head, and everyone smells like a baby!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I'm just glad I still have hair.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Thanks everyone!!! I will try out these tips!!!
Smelling like a baby after a dive sounds nice! :partydance:
And I will keep a bottle of water with my gear from now on! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Not something that I have done personally - but several ladies from our shop would apply conditioner to their hair pre-dive while gearing up. I can't recall whether they did it prior to putting on their drysuits, or just their hoods - but it was to help protect their hair from the effects of the salt, and to make donning a bit easier.
mightymouse
Just Settling In

Post by mightymouse »

I used conditioner before our dive this Sat and I think it helped. I'd hate to see you cut off that lovely hair!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

+1 for Tom Nic brand baby shampoo, that it doubles as defog is a bonus
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

Well with the amount of hair I have I am sure my advice would not help so I shall remain quiet ;)
SeahorseDeb
Avid Diver

Post by SeahorseDeb »

I'm so releived to know I'm not the only one with this issue! I use the "Pureology" line. It's expensive but leaving the conditioner in for 2 minute is amazing. Their "Smooth" cream is very speedy but is a complete restorative for moisture and manageability. If you don't want those curls straightened, skip the "Smooth" and stick to the 2 minute conditioner. In the meanwhile, I still travel with my gallon of warm water for a rinse whenever I can get one!
Why is the water so green......
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

I just recently tried the warm bottle of water after a dive thing and it was really good. I don't know if it helped my hair any but it sure felt good. :)