Dry suit question

General banter about diving and why we love it.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Dry suit question

Post by LowDrag »

What does everyone do to clean out your dry suit when you get a leak of any kind or any size? Do you just let it hang to dry out or do you use some kind of solution to get the saltwater out of the inside of the suit? My leak was pretty small. I was going to use my dry gloves but then changed my mind. The only problem is I forgot to tuck my thumb string from my undergarment back under my wrist seals on both sides. At about 50' I felt wet inside my sleeve and signaled Bob that I needed to head up to fix the issue which we did. Afterwards we continued our dive, me with a soggy sleeve. :rofl: So...what do you guys do?

Thanks,
Dave
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Re: Dry suit question

Post by Greg Jensen »

When it's just a sleeve, I rinse that area with freshwater and turn it inside out to dry.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

For a wet arm, I don't bother with anything. If I get flooded, I turn the suit inside out, hose it off, and (depending on the suit) hang it dry, or put a fan on to blow into the boots so they dry out.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

+1 if leaked
LCF wrote:For a wet arm, I don't bother with anything. If I get flooded, I turn the suit inside out, hose it off, and (depending on the suit) hang it dry, or put a fan on to blow into the boots so they dry out.
I did do a soap wahs the one time it got wet in Cali. :tomnic:
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

My suit gets rinsed in the lake or when I need to leak check it. I see no reason to dump a bunch of fresh water inside only to dump it back out and have more to dry out. Pretty sure nobody's had a suit "fail" from lack of rinsing (inside or out).
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Cool...thanks everyone, I am going to just let it dry out because it was just the sleeve to my elbows that got wet.
Cetacea
Avid Diver

Post by Cetacea »

I use a large commercial fan to blow on my suit and gear after I rinse it. I used to let it drip dry in the garage and it would take days to dry. I have found that even in the cold weather, having a fan or two blow on your gear for 12 hours, it dries out quickly. Not sure why it took me 30 years to come to this conclusion but glad I finally figured this out.... I'd love to see what other cool drying systems people have come up with.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I have a heated and dehumified shack, and use one of those UK drysuit hangers with a fan built in.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Cetacea wrote:I use a large commercial fan to blow on my suit and gear after I rinse it. I used to let it drip dry in the garage and it would take days to dry. I have found that even in the cold weather, having a fan or two blow on your gear for 12 hours, it dries out quickly. Not sure why it took me 30 years to come to this conclusion but glad I finally figured this out.... I'd love to see what other cool drying systems people have come up with.
When the inside is wet/damp I have a couple of boot dryers that I extended the wires on. They go down in the legs and their slight warmth creates a draft to remove the moisture overnight. But I basically never rinse my suit so its not like its soaked inside very much. Usually only when I stuff it in the bin wrong and some of the outside water gets inside.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

If you're suit is wet into the boots, and you need to dive it the next day, turn a shopvac to blow mode, and shove the end of the hose all the way down to the feet. 5-6 minutes each foot results in dry feet, even on my neoprene suit.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Great ideas guys thanks. I ended up not filling up my suit as much as I originally thought. I hung it up on a hanger with the zipper partially open and it dried quite nicely but I will keep these ideas in mind for that dreaded full flood.