Scuba student loses consciousness during Seattle dive

General banter about diving and why we love it.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: Scuba student loses consciousness during Seattle dive

Post by fmerkel »

The article was long but detailed. Easier to follow the slide show. Devastating thing to go through.
Sure dampened my enthusiasm for deep CCR cave diving. :eek:
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: Scuba student loses consciousness during Seattle dive

Post by ljjames »

I think it's important to discuss details and learn from experiences, which seems to be less frowned upon in incidents that don't involve a fatality.

Thanks the strong work of the associated divers and the plankton gods, maybe when she is ready, she will be able to weigh in at some point and give us the story from her perspective so that we might connect a few more dots. This is SO KEY to understanding if possible, and quite unusual.

I've recounted my personal CO2 experience numerous times, and I know it helped a few people understand their own experiences better, and in some cases helped folks recognize what was going on and learn how to better manage their diving and head off potential CO2 adventures for the most pleasant diving experience possible.

It may also help buddies understand and recognize what might be going on when their dive buddy is seeming 'off' underwater, and perchance help head off future situations. "hmm, my buddy's dive light pattern seems twitchy, and they are not responding in the normal fashion, maybe they are just distracted and checking their gas, sorting out buoyancy, or maybe I've been swimming a bit fast because i'm excited to go video something, and we could slow down and even ascend up the slope a bit". In this case someone noticed something and was there to help. ALL HAIL THE BUDDY SYSTEM :)
Dusty2 wrote:What ever happened I'm just glad that it turned out well and she went home breathing! Thanks to all who helped us have this happy ending!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"