San Diego diving...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

San Diego diving...

Post by Scubak »

Can anyone help me with my planning on a trip to San Diego...?
We were not going to dive then said, what the heck...lets dive a couple of days...
Now I need some help as to what to bring (drysuit, lights)? Where to dive?
Thanks all...
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
KneeDeep
Submariner

Re: San Diego diving...

Post by KneeDeep »

you bringing your own gear or plan to rent? When do you plan to go and how much divng? You going to have a car?

Have dove down there many times (daughter lives down there and we're down ther about every 6-8 weeks). There really isn't that much shore diving, and of that, entry/exit is the tricky part with the waves/surge.

I'd suggest do boat dives, and if possible, find a shop that may have a oil rig dive.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Waterhorse Charters. They are great and will take good care of you.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

KneeDeep wrote:
I'd suggest do boat dives, and if possible, find a shop that may have a oil rig dive.
+1 on the oil rig dive.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

coulterboy wrote:[+1 on the oil rig dive.
Sounds like cool dives but aren't the SoCal oil rigs a fair bit North of San Diego? I'm aware of rigs between Long Beach and Santa Barbra but that's a long boat trip from San Diego.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

renoun wrote:
coulterboy wrote:[+1 on the oil rig dive.
Sounds like cool dives but aren't the SoCal oil rigs a fair bit North of San Diego? I'm aware of rigs between Long Beach and Santa Barbra but that's a long boat trip from San Diego.
True. It's really not that far to drive from San Diego to Long Beach. Hell, our traffic situation in the Puget Sound is pretty much like the traffic on any given day in SoCal. People in SoCal consider driving at least 80 miles one way to work normal. That's one of the reasons I got out of SoCal.

Anyway, oil rig dives is one of those dives anyone can check off their bucket list.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Pfft.... SD traffic is no where near as bad as here or Long Beach area.
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Hi,

Waterhorse Charters is a solid and reliable boat, and they run just about every weekend. Reasonable rates, full meal provided in between dives, and they have a clean safety record.

There are a couple of smaller charter ops around, if you'd like info on those just ask. :)

There is some nice shore diving at LaJolla Cove and LaJolla Shores. Pretty straightforward diving and lots to see in both places.

The upside of diving in San Diego - warm and sunny topside and a TLS with 300g is more than ample insulation underwater.
The downside of diving in San Diego - it can be very "go" or "no go" depending on conditions. Plan on diving, but have a non-diving Plan B just in case. Swell models change often and charters will cancel if predictions go over 8-10ft.

San Diego Divers is a top notch shop and they have tanks for rent and bank 32%.

Hope this helps! If you have your dates let me know. :)

Laurynn aka Seainggreen
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

PS: Oil Rig dives are up north and those boat take out of LA. Fun diving for sure but will mean a bit of a drive.

PPS: Traffic in San Diego is NOTHING compared to Seattle. Especially during AM boat calls on a weekend. :)

Have fun!
L
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

another vote here for Waterhorse- very good operation. Had one of the others cancel without telling us, and then we had to go through the credit card company to get our money back- so beware.
For shore diving, easy entry at Marine Room restaurant in La Jolla.
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

I had a good time diving with Lois Ann charters when I was down there - http://www.loisann.com/
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

LaJolla Cove and LaJolla Shores are great sites, pretty much the Cove's of SD. The better of the site is pass the buoy, which is LONG swim. The surge getting out is fine (usually), but its coming back in and the 1st step on the stairs that really kicks your ass after the dive. Don't lift your feet, as there can be skates about in the sand for entry/exit. Plenty of seals, but its usually only the young pups that may have interaction.

If you don't mind a (small) drive, Laguna Beach is a better dive (I think), and can be less crowded. The bad part, is the stairs getting down... LOTS of them :) but worth it. Laguna Sea Sports is about 2 blocks away and graet place for rental gear (tanks and weight). When I bought my Deep See Supply backplate and wing, I had it delivered to their shop as we where renting tanks/weight/wet suits, they had the harness all stringed up and ready to dive for me... great shop.
taylortex
Frequent Bubbler

Post by taylortex »

Another thumbs up for la jolla cove! Parking can be a pain, go early morning. Check the ocean forecast, dont bother if the swell is bigger than 5 ft. The sea lions will swim all around you, makes a fun video/photo opp.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Thanks everyone...
It is going to be a great trip!!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"