Hecate Strait site

General banter about diving and why we love it.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Hecate Strait site

Post by CaptnJack »

Too bad the weather + tides are dreadful. And while I know people doing 400ft dives in FL, its damn deep for water that cold with that much deco.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-his ... ada-002485
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Hecate Strait site

Post by Tom Nic »

Interesting!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

That's may be a fun one to keep an eye on. Good find!
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

So what I'm reading is that we've already experienced a massive rise in sea level of 400 ft (!) due to global warming. Compared to that, what's another 3 ft? Pfffft!
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

GearHead wrote:So what I'm reading is that we've already experienced a massive rise in sea level of 400 ft (!) due to global warming. Compared to that, what's another 3 ft? Pfffft!
Yes, but it is any change from how things are right now that is unacceptable.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

GearHead wrote:So what I'm reading is that we've already experienced a massive rise in sea level of 400 ft (!) due to global warming. Compared to that, what's another 3 ft? Pfffft!
Yes parts of the world had sea levels 300-400ft lower during the last glacial maxima, all that water was locked up in ice.

But look at where at the expensive infrastructure is today on a high tide. Ps, some of the local infrastructure (sewers, stormwater pipes, and sewage treatment plants) is underground and relies on contemporary sea levels to drain downhill... Obviously in New Orleans their water already has to drain uphill but that's more to due with subsidence/compaction of the sediments underneath than sea level rise.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

A couple of things happened over the last few thousand years, and sea level change was only part of it. The weight of the glaciers pushed the continents lower into the mantle, causing a rise in sea level relative to the continents. Evidence of this can be found with coastal features up high in the mountains. When the glaciers melted, the continent rose (It's called isostatic rebound.). However, it didn't do it uniformly. In some cases the continents tilted while rising pushing some of the edges underwater. So we get middens and bones of land animals underwater and seashells at altitude. Cool, huh?
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

I was attempting humor. Oh well...

I'm quite fascinated by the geologic changes that have occurred over the last 10,000 to 100,000 years. Discoveries of coastal features and fossil remains in unexpected places are very cool indeed.

We seem to be in a warm period between ice ages. Given the current positions of the continents, future ice ages appear to be inevitable. Imagine New York underneath 1000 feet of ice again.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

GearHead wrote:I was attempting humor. Oh well...

I'm quite fascinated by the geologic changes that have occurred over the last 10,000 to 100,000 years. Discoveries of coastal features and fossil remains in unexpected places are very cool indeed.

We seem to be in a warm period between ice ages. Given the current positions of the continents, future ice ages appear to be inevitable. Imagine New York underneath 1000 feet of ice again.
If the Puget Sound tough fills with ice where will we dive?
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Hopefully by then we will have created an underwater habitat, and diving would be as simple as strapping on our rebreather and stepping through the airlock.