Objective Strength Measurement

General banter about diving and why we love it.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Objective Strength Measurement

Post by ArcticDiver »

In my quest to get back in the water I think I am objectively strong enough for at least warm water recreational diving. I have no trouble carrying weight equivalent to that of warm water gear. Flexibility is actually a bit better than pre-trauma except for the lumbar spine. Even then the surgical technique allows for some spinal flexion.

But I don't have a good objective measurement for forefoot strength. Obviously, for boat diving a person needs to be strong enough to walk, climb a ladder and fin. Other than a trip to Seattle some years ago and a few dives in Florida that is all I do. So, ability to walk across a rocky or slimy beach is not a consideration. Just get on the boat, to the entry point, jump off, fin during the dive, climb the ladder and get back to my seat.

How to measure foot strength to see if I'm strong enough?

(Why not just jump in the water and see? Because getting to the water from where I live is very time and money consuming. I want to have some rational measure of potential success before setting out on that)
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Objective Strength Measurement

Post by Desert Diver »

Pool with a ladder?
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

When I was in Hawaii last week I did exactly that. I climbed the pool ladder with a bit of effort. A regular ladder, no problem.

But finning and the rest concern me.
inflex
Avid Diver

Post by inflex »

Maybe try climbing stairs or ladder with a heavy pack, or try "calf lifts" with increasing weights.

Keep in mind that in most situations, you should be able to remove your gear prior to exiting the water. You can always choose to not jump in if conditions are too rough to do that.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

See if a local pool will let you go diving, bonus if its a diving well. (springboard) Diving pools are usually 12ft deep with a ladder. Kick around the perimeter for 20mins (when nobody is diving) and see how you feel. Or you could use an actual pool lane if they let you do that.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

I thought of the pool. But the one I would have used is closed indefinitely. So I was hoping for a non-water measure.

I'm headed Outside next week. Maybe I'll have luggage room for some fins, mask and snorkel. If so, maybe 24Hr Fitness might let me splash around in their pool.

Calf raises are pretty minimal. That is why the concern. I can ride a bike with SPD pedals by adjusting them just on the aft portion of the ball of my foot. Entering and exiting the ocean with just swim kit almost back to where it was.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Check the pool in Redmond, I dove in that pool several times in the fall of 2012.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

You might look at Force Fins if the ankles end up being a bit weak. They work more off the middle of the foot. You don't have to put as much ankle into working them. Happy to let you try some if you are in Seattle.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

johndo88 wrote:Check the pool in Redmond, I dove in that pool several times in the fall of 2012.
FYI Arcticdiver is not exactly close to Redmond, being from Alaska...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

CaptnJack wrote:
johndo88 wrote:Check the pool in Redmond, I dove in that pool several times in the fall of 2012.
FYI Arcticdiver is not exactly close to Redmond, being from Alaska...
Yep, I'm a 3 1/2 +/- hour Alaska Air flight North.

In the gym today I did 5x12 260lb incline leg presses. Couldn't quite make 60lbs on the seated calf raise.