Using Subway Trains as Reef Material

General banter about diving and why we love it.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Using Subway Trains as Reef Material

Post by johndo88 »

Over on the "other" coast, 2,500 subway trains have been placed into the Atlantic as reef building material. The cars are said to have been stripped and cleaned leaving a carbon steel shell. Is dumping carbon steel into the ocean really a good idea? Just curious.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/26/world/sub ... index.html
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Re: Using Subway Trains as Reef Material

Post by thefeve »

Yah interesting to think about if that's really good or not. Especially with all the discussion about redondo lately, makes me wonder..

Environmental impact aside - would be a cool dive site in a few years I guess? :)
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Using Subway Trains as Reef Material

Post by CaptnJack »

Steel itself is no big deal at all. Iron is somewhat a limiting nutrient in the oceans but its not toxic.

The other crap on rail cars is a different story (PCB and lead containing paints, oils, caulks, vinyl and plastics etc) Any asbestos is not really a big deal.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.