Three Tree Map Needed

General banter about diving and why we love it.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Three Tree Map Needed

Post by dwashbur »

We tried to find the cabin cruiser today and missed it. I'm trying to find a map of the site that shows the directions to it, but can't seem to find one online. They all stop well short of it in that direction. Anybody know where there's a more complete one?
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Re: Three Tree Map Needed

Post by WylerBear »

There may be a map on pnwscuba.com but that may be one of the places you've tried. But it's easy to find the cabin cruiser. Surface swim out to the first buoy to the south of the entry. Drop down and take a diagonal heading going sw down to about 65', then swim straight south. It always seems like it takes forever to get there so don't get discouraged. If the current is pushing you south too much don't go that direction because it will only get worse. If you get too far south and have missed the cabin cruiser and the current kicks up going south, turn around immediately or you may be swept around the point or out into the sound.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I basically walk down the path, get in the water, spit in my mask, make sure there are no great whites around, descend and head straight out to 65 fsw. Then hang a left. 10-15 min later...voila!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

That's pretty much what we did. It's possible we just didn't get to it because one of our group started getting low on air; that was the main reason I had to turn the dive. It was also a fairly super high tide, so we may have been too shallow at 60-ish fsw. Still, a map with compass headings would be nice. pnwscuba is always the first place I go, but that one doesn't extend that far south.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

WylerBear wrote:There may be a map on pnwscuba.com but that may be one of the places you've tried. But it's easy to find the cabin cruiser. Surface swim out to the first buoy to the south of the entry. Drop down and take a diagonal heading going sw down to about 65', then swim straight south. It always seems like it takes forever to get there so don't get discouraged. If the current is pushing you south too much don't go that direction because it will only get worse. If you get too far south and have missed the cabin cruiser and the current kicks up going south, turn around immediately or you may be swept around the point or out into the sound.
What Georgia said except that we walk down the beach to about the 3rd buoy - approximately straight out from the flag pole. We have dropped right on the cruiser when the current wasn't strong.

Visibility is usually good enough at TTN that if you're remotely close you will see it looming in the distance. I've never used compass headings, depth is a much better indicator. Stay between 60 & 65 FSW and you simply can't miss it - unless you give up too soon or unless you dropped in past it (something I've never done because I'm usually tired of walking down the beach by then and just get in the water).

If you started from the entry way it is a ways... I like to drop on or near the cruiser, spend 10-20 minutes poking around taking pics and looking for critters, then work my way back north to the various tire piles and end our dive right at the entry. Depending on your air consumption and how you move in current that is a 60-80 minute dive but you see a ton - although there is a somewhat "barren stretch" before you get back to the tire piles.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman