What got you started in diving?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
sparky
I've Got Gills

What got you started in diving?

Post by sparky »

what gat you started in Scuba Diving

and what keeps you diving ?

my self I would say I got in to Diving out of a love of the water and nature so it just seemed like a good Idea to combine the two of them ..

couple that with the fact that I can explore parts of the world that most people only see on tv, and the grate folks I have been lucky enough to meet and that pretty much tells you why Sparky is a diver.

oh and add to this the fact I am adickted to Nitrogen and Compred Air .
and this all adds up to Scuba Diving.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I got started diving as an assignment from the editor of a travel magazine I used to contribute to. I did my first OW dives and fell in love. :smt035
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I decided to get certified on my 40th birthday.
I got a taste for sea water by snorkling in Mexico , first Cabo then Peurto Vallarta. I was doing more free diving than snorkling so I knew what needed to be done,SCUBA Lessons! Since the first dive in to the pool I was hooked! It has exceeded all expectations and now it is part of my every day life / thinking. And now, it just keeps getting better.
:supz:
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I have always loved the water...just where I feel best.
Got certified after a discover scuba in PV and was hooked. Came home and signed up the next day.
It has been the greatest love affair. Love the compressed air, the smell of neoprene, the feeling of floating...
Man! I gotta go diving.
K
"Let's go diving!"
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

Well, i hate to say it but everyone was doing it. I got certified over at school, WSU. My roomie, her boyfriend, and my boyfriend were all TA's for the class and i gave into peer pressure, i took the class. I did my cert dives in hood canal in nov and just got my advanced about a week ago. I'm liking the underwater world more and more. Can't wait for New Zealand!
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I got certified after a friend of mine did. It was something that I always wanted to try. And my friend dont dive no more. ](*,)
Who run barter town?
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

As a child I was always interested in my parents diving off Catalina in California. Diving was something I always wanted to try and I got the opportunity on the Great Barrier in 94. To this day it is still some of the best diving I have ever done. My first dive was with a dozen Sharks, huge Eels, Giant Clams, Dolphins, Turtles....etc

From that day on, I knew I was going to be a diver.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

My wife made me do it ... :salute:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Grateful Diver wrote:My wife made me do it ... :salute:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
not you Bob I knew you were going to say that lol

See ya soon I hope Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'm not sure, exactly....Actually, I'm not sure why I waited so long to get into it, to be honest! I've always been fascinated with the water, but I grew up in Albuquerque, NM. I was the kid who would spend all day in the deep end of the pool with a mask, diving for pennies, or marbles, or whatever. I love movies like "The Abyss". I moved to Seattle in '94, and I guess I was aware that people dove here, but it just didn't occur to me that I could just go learn to dive.....I dunno why not, I mean, I live less than a mile from Seattle UWS! Anyway, I read "Shadow Divers" last year, and absolutely loved it.....read it a second time as soon as I finished it the first time! Right after that, I ran into a guy who worked part time at UWS, and he mentioned that the Diver's fair was about to happen, and that they had good deals on lessons....I signed up, but deffered taking the lessons until this last February, because I was remodelling my house at the time. Now I'm getting just about fully obsessed with diving, it's like, on my mind all day and night! I want to dive all the time now, and I've been devouring book after book on it! I really love it, and hope to see all kinds of stuff underwater. I'm really happy I stumbled onto this website and met you people- everyone here has been amazingly helpfull, and especially patient, with my lack of experience. Thank you all for all the help and friendship!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I was born with gills :smt027 Look its a dougie fresh smiley
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.