unknown dive site

General banter about diving and why we love it.
wannabedivin
Getting To Know Folks

unknown dive site

Post by wannabedivin »

I heard about a dive site, near Port Townsend, or Port Angeles that is a shore dive that during WWII there was several structures(shaped like giant jacks) to dropped in to protect the beach. Anybody know the name and/or directions
60south
Pelagic

Re: unknown dive site

Post by 60south »

I've done a lot of diving between PT and PA but never heard of this. It would be interesting! I hope somebody knows something...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You're thinking of Normandy
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

You may be referring to the submarine net anchors. I have dove them many years ago but forget where they were. I think there was more than one location for them. IIRC they were just down from some salmon farm.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The sub net anchors are on the north and south sides of Rich Passage. Off Bainbridge and Manchester respectively. The Manchester side is technically within a Navy security zone but that doesn't seem to be enforced. Both are recreational dives, but boat only.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

We dove the ones off Bainbridge from shore but that was 15 years ago. Even at the time parking was kinda iffy. We also dove under the salmon pens. I would think with all the food that there would have been a ton of life under them, nope. They were giant dead zones.
wannabedivin
Getting To Know Folks

Post by wannabedivin »

I think it might be Hudson Point
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

there are no landing craft or tank traps on that beach. Assuming you are talking about things like this
http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/al ... XX702b.jpg
wannabedivin
Getting To Know Folks

Post by wannabedivin »

I am not really sure, I had just heard about a bunch of structures left over from the war under the water somewhere near Port Townsend. Internet searches seemed to indicate Hudson Point may be a likely candidate but the story I heard was that there several structures but it appears Hudson Point has only one.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

There's a lot of boat traffic at Point Hudson. If there were ever any landing craft traps they would probably have been removed long ago. I've dove there a lot and have never seen one. Indian Island might be a possibility given the military base there.

Fort Worden seems to be the most obvious area for this sort of thing. I've seen a number of structures (concrete?) just off-shore from the camping area kitchen, but they're too deep (30'-ish) and nothing that looks like it would stop a tank
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

I don't know but here's some info that may help your search. There are underwater remnants of WWI and WWII defenses around Puget Sound like the submarine nets in Rich Passage and the degaussing station near Point Jefferson. It's been a long time but I think the submarine net anchors are large concrete structures shaped like a pyramid with the top cut off. That has the shape of a screw jack. I believe I saw some someplace else but don't remember where, maybe Hood Canal entrance. There were numerous forts to protect the sound that may have concrete structures off shore like the triangle of Forts Wardon, Flagler and Casey plus Camp Hayden at Salt Creek and Fort Ward on Bainbridge. Please post it if you find it.