Parking at Three Tree

General banter about diving and why we love it.
dphershman
Aquanaut

Parking at Three Tree

Post by dphershman »

I'm not sure when they put in the signs so I may be the last person that didn't know this, but its probably worth passing on that there are nearly a dozen or more 'no parking' signs around the small parking lot at Three Tree. It must have cost a several thousand dollars to lay out that spread, so I imagine they're pretty serious. :angry:

There are now only about 5 legal parking spaces. (fewer if somebody parks askew or shows up in one of those oversized trucks or vans). Don't even think of trying to park along the hedges.

This will definitely put a crimp on anyone planning a club dive there, especially on a weekend.

Dan
Dan Hershman :smt024
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Parking at Three Tree

Post by Penopolypants »

I was there this weekend and wondered how new they were. It definitely puts a damper on groups.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Great, it's in my sights for Sunday. Might have to hit it early.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

This has been going on for awhile. The guy behind the hedge would seem to have started it. Well, probably large groups of divers+fisherman and poor manners probably started it and he finished it off. Cops were called, people got ticketed or not depending on the mood of the cop.
(I have more info if people care for it).

With the growth in Seattle pretty much any recreational endeavor of about any sort is going to end up being about parking. It behooves users to carpool and watch their manners, maybe limit group sizes (clubs, classes) at certain sites to minimize the impact on neighborhood sites like this.

Washington Scuba Alliance has been working on trying to improve the Seacrest Coves. Used to be the big problem was DNR wanted nothing to do with putting any kind of structure underwater. But the key people that were resistant have left and it seems more possible now. So some improvements to Cove 3 with some changes in parking there and and access to the water along with some structure (piles of rock ala Saltwater) have been promoted. I've been at several meetings with Parks and City councilman about this, The sticking point now is parking. They don't want it more attractive there. It's already too attractive to a mixed group of users (commuters, divers, skaters, runners, restaurant, etc) and parking is already a major hassle for them.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

We dove there last thursday, and there were white lines and white x's painted, including along the hedge. Where did the no parking signs end up being placed?
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Working from memory, but where the red lines are, essentially to the right and left of the entry road, including the curve.
TTN.PNG
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Wow. It looked like to me by the white lines, that they were allowing a couple spots along the hedge. Guess not. SUX!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Around the end of August 2015 I emailed the city of Burien and I got a response from someone named Brian Roberts. He said they were working on a parking plan and i just emailed him again to get any updates. I also asked him if they had any plans that would show the legal areas to park and I would share them here so there is no confusion. As soon as anyone gets back to me I will pass it on.
Jeff Castor
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I have a PDF file that he sent me that shows where parking is allowed. I tried to attach it, but seeing that it is PDF file I am not tech savvy enough to attach as a picture.

Basically the only legal parking is angle parking along the hedges from the gate at the hedges to the end of the hedges. Of course do not block the garage door driveway.
Attachments
Three Tree Point 11-3-15.pdf
(3.32 MiB) Downloaded 136 times
Jeff Castor
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Here you go.
Attachments
TTN.jpg
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Scubie Doo wrote:Here you go.

Your my hero ;-)
Jeff Castor
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Wow. That sux. No reason at all that a couple cars couldnt park along hedge on inside of corner. Oh well, we have to live with it. Somehow.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Gdog wrote:Wow. That sux. No reason at all that a couple cars couldnt park along hedge on inside of corner. Oh well, we have to live with it. Somehow.
Well it is good to know so that we can be sure we are covered. I think the thing the makes the locals angry are the Fishermen, but we get the backlash of that during the salmon season. I dont see a NO MR HEATER and Canopy zone though. ;-)
Jeff Castor
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

pogiguy05 wrote:
Gdog wrote:Wow. That sux. No reason at all that a couple cars couldnt park along hedge on inside of corner. Oh well, we have to live with it. Somehow.
Well it is good to know so that we can be sure we are covered. I think the thing the makes the locals angry are the Fishermen, but we get the backlash of that during the salmon season. I dont see a NO MR HEATER and Canopy zone though. ;-)
True that! MR HEATER!!!! :partydance: :supz:
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

:angry:

Thanks for pulling this info!

I wonder, where is the closest legal alternative parking for drop off and park offsite...

hard to tell from that map
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

pogiguy05 wrote:I have a PDF file that he sent me that shows where parking is allowed. I tried to attach it, but seeing that it is PDF file I am not tech savvy enough to attach as a picture.

Basically the only legal parking is angle parking along the hedges from the gate at the hedges to the end of the hedges. Of course do not block the garage door driveway.
If one was ambitious, could they park along Maplewild? I see red dots with no explanation--are those no parking signs as well? (I've never paid attention to see if there were any on that road or not.
Jenn
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

My suggestion would be to tread carefully and for me i would only park in the area allowed. Dont want to spread any new issues and get tickets or towed.
Jeff Castor
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

pogiguy05 wrote:My suggestion would be to tread carefully and for me i would only park in the area allowed. Dont want to spread any new issues and get tickets or towed.

I understand, and I will. From the map though, I cannot tell if parking on Maplewild is allowed or not.
Jenn
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

enchantmentdivi wrote:
pogiguy05 wrote:My suggestion would be to tread carefully and for me i would only park in the area allowed. Dont want to spread any new issues and get tickets or towed.

I understand, and I will. From the map though, I cannot tell if parking on Maplewild is allowed or not.
I did the google map thing and I see what looks to be no parking signs but they are blurred out for some reason. I also used google maps to kind of do a walk thru of those back streets and I really dont see any side parking without causing an issue with passage of vehicles.
Jeff Castor
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

On google earth it looks as though there may be some parking on Maplewild, just west of the turn in to TTN. Will have to check it out in person tomorrow.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Gdog wrote:On google earth it looks as though there may be some parking on Maplewild, just west of the turn in to TTN. Will have to check it out in person tomorrow.
I seen some blurred signs that look like no parking and yes will have to look closely.
Jeff Castor
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The problem is actually only partly due to the cranky neighbors. The pump station there requires 24/7 access and the roads are insanely narrow for a fire truck. Those 2 factors plus required sight lines at intersections limit the parking as much as the cranky neighbor factor. They just didn't really get serious about the pump station, fire truck and sight lines until the neighbors complained about their driveways being blocked too.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

CaptnJack wrote:The problem is actually only partly due to the cranky neighbors. The pump station there requires 24/7 access and the roads are insanely narrow for a fire truck. Those 2 factors plus required sight lines at intersections limit the parking as much as the cranky neighbor factor. They just didn't really get serious about the pump station, fire truck and sight lines until the neighbors complained about their driveways being blocked too.
Good point.
jsaenz
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jsaenz »

A quick note that not all of those no parking signs are legally binding. Check the back of them for a "city of burien" sticker. If they are not there it is not an official sign and you are allowed to park there. We had some police officers come out and verify that.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

jsaenz wrote:A quick note that not all of those no parking signs are legally binding. Check the back of them for a "city of burien" sticker. If they are not there it is not an official sign and you are allowed to park there. We had some police officers come out and verify that.
Interesting.... Can you give us an idea of which ones?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman