Swimmers Ear

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Swimmers Ear

Post by Snidely »

My wife was getting certified this week but after her pool session on Sunday she got swimmers ear and is now out of the water for a minimum of 10 days. Right when she was starting to get over her nerves about diving... :crybaby:

Anyone have experience with swimmers ear? She has dove before doing discover SCUBA dives in open water and hasn't had any problems. Wondering if maybe it was just the pool and the chlorine?

thanks
2 in / 2 out, everyone goes home
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Swimmers Ear

Post by Gdog »

Couple options..... There is something called swimmers ear drops that will dry out the outer ear. Also, a homemade concoction known as ear beer. http://swimtelligence.blogspot.com/2008 ... r.html?m=1
Option 2, and the one I use as well as my son, is called docs proplugs. They make repetitive diving possible for me .https://www.proplugs.com
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Does she have "swimmers ear" or middle ear barotrauma from the ascents/descents in the pool? Ouchie like a little kids get and hurts when someone tugs on her earlobe or pain and feeling of fullness and water in her ear that won't go away?
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

What ljjames said. Important to make a distinction.
For swimmer's ear Gdog has the answer there.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Also if she's a habitual user of q-tips to clean her ears she'll need to stop aggressive cleanings with them. It may pack wax further into the ear causing problems. It also wipes away the protective earwax and abrades the surface tissue making it more vulnerable to infection.

Between windsurfing and diving I had a few adult middle ear infections until I got smarter about ear care. Only very gentle and infrequent cleanings but more importantly a rinse with ear beer (50% white vinegar 50% alcohol) after every dive or other water activity.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

Thank you everyone for the reply's. The doctor said she has swimmers ear.

ljjames : She described it as pain and fullness. The pain would radiate down her jaw and it would hurt her more to open her mouth.

Gdog: Thanks for the tips we will have to try them. We thought about the ear plugs but saw some reviews online that people had bad experiences with them. And you risk vertigo if they come out on a dive since the cold water hits your ear.

renoun: you hit the nail on the head. She is a q-tip user and we have talked about that :). Didn't even think about the fact that with no protective layer there is greater chance of infections. It makes sense!

You guys rock! :norris: :supz: Thanks for the help!

Really looking forward to getting her certified so I have a dive buddy at home :)
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

For local use with a hood the likelihood of losing a plug is about nil. OTOH, the probability of simply losing the things in the mess of packing up is high at first. I lost several pair and now use the red ones as they are easier to see/find. I'm also careful to put them away when I take them out, haven't lost any in over 5 years now.
If you are real paranoid about losing them these seem to work as well and are a bit more stable in the ear:
JBL Hydro Seals Vented Preformed Protective Earplugs Aqua Ear Plugs For Scuba and Free Diving

FWIW I've been using Proplugs for over 15 years (1000+ dives), cold water and tropical with no issues at all, and a distinct improvement in outer ear issues.

People that had problems with them either didn't fit them right (probably) or had no idea what they actually were for and how to use them properly, The probability of getting vertigo without them is WAY higher than with them. Remember, you generally see complaints from people on line, far less likely to read happy stories.
(IMO the pitch that they help with clearing isn't valid. In my experience they don't affect clearing one way or the other, which is and entirely different issue than keeping water out of your ear).

You can (somewhat) protect a "scrubbed ear" with olive or mineral oil. Swimmer's ear in cold water is infrequent as the organisms (fungus usually) is not as adaptable to our body temperature. It is not uncommon in the tropics due to more similar temperatures and the high frequency of diving on vacation. If she got it from a pool, usually HIGHLY disinfected, she is susceptible indeed.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

Thanks fmerkel. I agree with you about how the reviews online are mostly negative and you rarely hear about the good. This is part of the reason why I wanted to post on here get some true good experienced advice for her.

For those of you who use the plugs. What is the best way / place to get them fitted?
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

You used to be able to contact them directly. They would send you a packet of various sizes of ONE side. You figured out the size, and sent them back.
The JBL's are easier to fit and easier to work with. Amazon is pretty easy about exchanges but I don't know if that would apply to a personal product like this. OTOH, you are out less than $20 even if you are wrong.
If you live anywhere near N. Seattle I have 2 sizes of Proplugs (mine and spouse's) and med. JBL I'm happy to let you try.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Seattle scuba schools http://www.seattlescuba.com/index.html , on westlake, has the kit to fit them. Just takes a couple minutes. I also agree, moderately difficult to just knock them out of the ear, they fit snugly. The only time I've lost a pair is packing, or between dives by carelessly misplacing them. I've worn them more often in tropical waters due to multiple dives every day, with no hood, and have never lost or dislodged them. If you get them with the cord holding them together, make sure it's not too long or it will catch on something and pull them free. Under a hood or scap, they aren't going anywhere. As far as the complaints, I also agree with what has been said. When used properly and fitted properly, they work very well. My son blew his eardrum a few years ago, and the only way he can dive now is with the proplugs. They make it easier somehow to equalize his tender eardrum.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Also, be aware that there are two types; one type is for above water sports, and the other for diving. The ones for diving have a tiny hole in the center to allow air to travel thru. Make sure that is the type you purchase.