Possession Point State Park

General banter about diving and why we love it.
P2 Dive
Getting To Know Folks

Possession Point State Park

Post by P2 Dive »

It looks like Possession Point State Park may go up for sale and become private property. If there is a strong enough outcry from the public then this will not happen. Attached is the flyer for the public meeting in Freehand this Tuesday 4/26. We cannot afford to lose anymore dive sites. If you can't attend, emails to the State Park Commission and your local State representatives would really help.
Attachments
Scan.jpeg
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Possession Point State Park

Post by Jeff Pack »

This sux
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

e-mails sent :(
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Thank you for posting! I am pushing it out on Social to see if we can get more letters/involvement.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I just got off the phone with Randy Kline, Parks Planner. Alarmed by the original post I read the plan:
[State Park Property and Possession Point State Park Classification and Management Planning (CAMP)
http://parks.state.wa.us/DocumentCenter/Home/View/6996

Nowhere in that document does it indicate that Possession Point could be sold. Randy confirms that and apologizes that the word "surplus" is a pretty loaded term and conveys the wrong impression. That is not the plan. Some of this might have come from the [South Whidbey Record]
http://www.southwhidbeyrecord.com/news/376795041.html
First paragraph:
[Most of Possession Point State Park will be reclassified as “surplus” and become eligible for transfer to another public entity or even sold to a private party, under a long-range plan being proposed by Washington State Parks.]

Having said that it is a long term planning session, they are looking for public input, and it is important that we as recreational users of that land give our input into this process.
Don't consider yourself or this site 'off the hook'. We need to make it clear we value this site.

This page has public input, PP specifically on page 7. There is absolutely no scuba input.
http://parks.state.wa.us/DocumentCenter/Home/View/7128

The legislature has mandated that the Parks Dept. review all their lands and come up with plans on how to best manage them in the face of shrinking revenues and support (think carefully who you vote for and why). It is possible that Possession Point could be swapped/traded to another entity for management. Possession is only one parcel out of several in this process being looked at. If some other land management entity should take over this property they might not consider the relatively small group of scuba users to be of material significance in how to best manage the property.

I'm strongly considering going up. As usual there will be input from lots of other users, and little to none from divers unless we take time to make our wishes known.

Fritz
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

From: Island Beach Access Members <info@islandbeachaccess.org>
Date: Sunday, April 24, 2016
Subject: Island Beach Access Members: POSSIBLE RECLASSIFICATION OF POSSESSION POINT STATE PARK
To: Island Beach Access Members Subscriber <p2dive@gmail.com>

(Mailing list information, including how to remove yourself, is located at the end of this message.)
Attention everyone!
I call your attention to an important State Parks meeting this coming Tuesday (4/26) from 6-8PM in Freeland wherein plans for what to do with Possession Point State Park will be discussed. Below is a brief background and why it is important.
State Parks is going through a Classification and Management Planning (CAMP) process with South Whidbey State Park, but then added in two other south end units, Useless Bay and Possession Point at the last minute.
Basically, the uplands at Possession Point have been proposed for designation as "surplus" and set up to be sold/traded/given away. If no public entity were to step in, it would ultimately be offered for sale to the general public. If there is sufficient public outcry, state parks officials will reconsider.
The property is beautiful, historic, and majestic, offering great nature trails on the south end of the island, and is a Washington Water Trails kayak overnight site. For further background, see the excellent cover story in Saturday’s South Whidbey Record.
If you are a hiker, beach-walker, kayaker, or all the above, I urge you to attend the public hearing next Tuesday to convey your thoughts and concerns. If you cannot attend, you can register your concerns by email.

We hope to see you there.

The State Parks service, not the Island County commissioners, are not the stewards of this important public property. Your voice is important to the conversation. Here is the direct link for your comments: http://parks.state.wa.us/964/South-Whid ... -and-Usele

Also, here are the contacts for your 10th Legislative District legislators :

Rep. Norma Smith: norma.smith@leg.wa.gov

Rep. Dave Hayes: dave.hayes@leg.wa.gov

Sen. Barbara Bailey: bailey_ba@leg.wa.gov

It is important that your comments get to the folks who will make the decision about this property.

Thank you for your input.

Helen Price Johnson

Island County Commissioner, District 1

District1@co.island.wa.us

PO Box 5000

Coupeville, WA 98239

(360)679-7354 office

(360)632-1168 mobile
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Divers Gene Coronetz (Marker Buoy), Joyce Merkel (Marker Buoy), Jan Kocian (NWDC), and myself attended the meeting along with about 100 locals. About half the meeting was taken up with the diseased tree problem in S. Whidbey St. Park. There is extensive damage to many trees in this old growth park and they can fall without notice and little provocation. This makes safety in the campground quite problematic. There is no easy and obvious solution. It is evident that the non-diving community does not understand liability like divers. They figured people could just sign a waiver or Parks could put up a warning sign and they would be off the hook.

The part dear to the dive community, Possession Point, took up the 2nd half. The entire room was in accord with not 'surplussing' the park uplands. The part that we dive from was actually not part of the potential surplus plan at all. It was made clear at the start of the meeting that this option had been primarily a theoretical consideration based on directives from the legislature regarding ALL State Parks and properties. This option has essentially been taken off the table. How to develop, what to do exactly, and how to administer that property is still being looked at. The house is in bad repair, water is unfit for consumption, road down is dicey and washes out easily during the winter, etc.

This meeting was supposedly and mostly a question and answer period, which it very much was. But they took commentary from anyone that wanted to speak (I did for the dive community). The meeting was handled well by Randy Kline, Parks Planner.

Marker Buoy Club President Mark Wilson also sent a letter to Randy Kline along with some questions. He got this informative response back from him so I post it verbatim. Responses are in blue.
[Also, I have been following some conversations on divers forums and there seem to be some conflicting views on what a decision to surplus the property would mean. So here are a few questions.

Are you only considering the status of Possession Point Park now or has a decision already been made to change it's status as an actively managed Park?
Only considering, also the portion of the park under consideration for possible transfer to another agency is the forested upland portion but not the shoreline area, the beach, the house, the upper parking lot, the road access down to the park, or the Washington Water Trails campsite. At this stage we are bringing forward conceptual proposals for public consideration and discussion. No decision has been made – our next public meeting will be in late August but a Commission decision will not be made until November 2016 or later.

If the decision to change it from an actively managed Park has been made what are the status options and what does each mean?
This decision has not been made.

If the Park is surplused who would or could take control over the land and improvements?
The most likely candidate would be another public entity as there are restrictions on the type of development that can occur due to the grant funds used to purchase the property – whoever takes over the property would need to use it for recreational use or purchase an equivalent property which could provide at least the same level of recreational use.

Is it possible that it would be offered for sale to private parties? Very remote possibility for the upland forested portion.
Transfer to another public entity would be the initial approach.

If it is offered to private parties what is the process for selling it?
The Parks and Recreation Commission has to authorize sale of property.

If sold to a private party would there be any restrictions on future usage?
In this case there would be multiple restrictions based on the funding source.

Does the property currently have a zoning designation from Island County? If so what type is it?
Yes, the Island County zoning designation is “Park”]
At this point the dive community does not have to panic, nor should they stick their head back under the water and ignore it. This is a remarkable site, and we simply have too few sites of any sort to give up, let alone one as unique as this. The support letters we send DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. This is what the Parks people can take back to the legislature. If they have nothing, the folks with the $$$ assumes no one cares. Do not let that happen! Write a letter or send an email to Randy expressing you concerns about the site. It doesn't have to be long or eloquent, but it does have to be there to do any good.

If you have more questions about the surplusing possibility it would be worth reading the WHOLE article in the So. Whidbey RECORD I link to in my post above. The first paragraph is what seemed to have started the alarm, which is not necessarily a bad thing in this case.

Fritz

Send support to Randy Kline , or call him. He's a nice guy and easy to talk to. He really does want to hear from people. We are his job. Remember, this is a STATE park, not just a Whidbey Park.

Randy Kline, Parks Planner
Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission
1111 Israel Road SW, Tumwater, WA 98501
PO Box 42650, Olympia, WA 98504
Phone: 360.902.8632
randy.kline@parks.wa.gov
http://www.parks.state.wa.us
Possession Point Grounds
Possession Point Grounds
Beach out front
Beach out front
Gene Coronetz and Joyce Merkel review handouts before the meeting.
Gene Coronetz and Joyce Merkel review handouts before the meeting.
Jan Kocian, the one and only.
Jan Kocian, the one and only.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Thank you Fritz and others! Your leadership for the diving community on this is greatly appreciated!
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

Thank you Fritz and those who attended on behalf of the rest of us that couldn't make it.
-Erika
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Great news. Thanks for the update and the participation!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!