Future Scuba Diver!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Mac
Aquaphile

Future Scuba Diver!

Post by Mac »

Hey all -

A friend of mine has a 4-yr-old boy who loves going to the Seattle aquarium, and is absolutely obsessed with scuba diving. The aquarium diver in the main tank is his biggest hero...he loves to watch him, then go dress up in the gear they have in the hallway. Sounds like a future diver in the making!

His folks have asked me if I knew of a way for him to get to meet one of the aquarium scuba divers after one of the shows, or maybe even get some kind of "behind-the-scenes" experience there. Unfortunately, I don't have many contacts at the aquarium, but I figured this would be a good forum to put it out to. Does anyone have any connections that might be helpful there? If so, feel free to post or PM me.

Thanks!
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: Future Scuba Diver!

Post by fmerkel »

To go behind the scenes you have to go with someone that has been cleared to do that and they have to provide adequate notice to the staff. I have not gone through that training though.

There is a “Meet the Diver” day coming up.
The table will be up and running for three days from Saturday May 28th through Monday May 30th from 10:00am-2:00pm

At the Dome sometimes the divers will be out in the viewing area before the show, but not dressed up, just in street clothes.

You could always take him to Cove 2 or Edmonds on the weekend. Divers are everywhere.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Pretty sure Mac has access to regular ole "divers"

heh
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Ken (Mac), you're diving with Bobby Berenson tomorrow. He dives at the Seattle aquarium regularly. He should be able to give you all the info.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
jsaenz
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jsaenz »

There is actually a member of the marker buoy's who is a diver for the aquarium, and last I checked with him, he was more than willing to take people on a behind the scene's tour. He needs a two week heads up to get you on the list, but once that is done its no problem. PM me and I can get you his information, and you can check in with him.
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

I volunteer at the aquarium on Thursday mornings, but do not dive there yet. A dive buddy of mine has been diving at the aquarium since the 90s and he is also there Thursday mornings. I could probably arrange a meeting and Jim would know if a behind the scenes visit can e set up. You can also contact the aquarium directly and ask - several of the aquarium staff and supervisors on the floor are divers at the aquarium and they would probably be willing to meet the boy. The suggestion to meet at one of the popular dive sites would be best for seeing people in dive gear. Send PM if you want me to work on this.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.