too much air!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Echo
Compulsive Diver

too much air!

Post by Echo »

The shop I use over fills my tanks if I'm not monitoring them. This was my last fill on one of my AL 80s. I've had over 3500# in both of my Fe 72s. What is the chance that my tanks will fail their next hydro if they keep getting over filled like this?
-Erika
GearHead
Submariner

Re: too much air!

Post by GearHead »

Aluminum will fatigue with repeated overfills and loose its elasticity (fail hydro). Steel tanks are good for any pressure that won't blow the burst disk. Steel alloys are tested for 5000 cycles, probably more than a couple lifetimes of use.
All the same, you might have a word with the shop. No point in abusing those Aluminum tanks like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

hydro test pressure for a lp72 is 2250 * 5 / 3 = 3750psi, they will fail with repeated pressurization like that.

fill al80s to 3800 regularly and yes they will fail their next hydro if not before. Unlike USDOT, australian requires annual hydros and their tanks just don't last because of it.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Another thought, have you checked the pressure against a second guage?
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

Gdog wrote:Another thought, have you checked the pressure against a second guage?
Yes, I only get fills like that from one shop
-Erika
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Curiosity, what do they read when you walk into the water?
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

The same. I know, first thought is it's a hot day in my car, but this is a normal read year 'round
-Erika
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Mine always drop when I get in the water. I wonder how high they are filling them to before cooling? First really good fill I ever saw at a dive shop! Be better in steels though. I pumped my AL80's about 3500 so they would be a little overfull when they cooled.
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

It drops, but not significantly enough to warrant heat being the factor of a high reading. I have to remind them with my 72s that they are indeed 72s not 80s and that they need to be filled accordingly. I don't breathe enough air to want a 'good fill'. A rated fill is just fine.
-Erika
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

and you DID use another gauge to assure yours I not faulty?
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

Norris wrote:and you DID use another gauge to assure yours I not faulty?
yup. I find myself checking it with both gauges to make sure I am seeing what I think i'm seeing. Last night I even had Ken look at it to reassure myself my eyes were working properly.
-Erika
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Wow then that is just plain sloppy filling.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**