Hanging Them Up...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Hanging Them Up...

Post by dwashbur »

...at least for a while. Scuba diving has been taking a greater and greater toll on my body thanks to all the various parts that are breaking down because they think they're getting old. I love the life in Puget Sound, but it's reached a point where the trade-off in pain and recovery time just isn't worth it to me. So I'm putting the gear in storage for a while. The plan is to save myself for special events and places where there's a chance to see some things I've never seen before, which will probably happen once or twice a year in general. Other than that, Kathy and I are looking for something else we can do together that won't cause parts of me to fall off prematurely.

On a related note, we have some tanks for sale. That's posted in the appropriate forum.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: Hanging Them Up...

Post by fmerkel »

It's the weight, not so much the diving I find. HP 80's can make a big difference. Those LP 108 are pretty heavy. I ditched my LP 98's a decade ago....good riddance.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

fmerkel wrote:It's the weight, not so much the diving I find. HP 80's can make a big difference. Those LP 108 are pretty heavy. I ditched my LP 98's a decade ago....good riddance.
This is a great point. When I think about aging/diving, that is exactly my thought. Shoot, I would be ok with a 30-40 shallow dive with a light tank when I'm 80-90 :) I'm being a little dramatic, but I have thought about it.

Back to the OP. Sorry to hear you are hanging it up. It is something we will all have to face. Best wishes on your new adventure. Please keep posting here too :)
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Sorry to hear Dave. Wishing you well, and some good "reserve" dives as you can. Keep watching here for baby GPO hatching sightings that you may want to visit :)

Another tip: Stretching before lifting all the heavy stuff is a step most people don't take that helps me feel better after diving
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

yea, age catches up with us all.

We're hauling around almost 300pds of tec diving gear for every dive(@58), so I'm gonna go go go until I cant cant cant...

At that point, theres gonna be one hell of sale.

I find for now though that the toll of long long deco(1hr+) is the price that gets alittle harder every year.

Bestof wishes to you going forward, this place will still be here if you come back.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I am sorry to hear that Dave, I know how much diving means to you and your family. Best of luck to you and the board will still be here for virtual diving at any time.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

If you are in the market for HP 80's let me know. I have 4 for sale. Don't want the LP's you have though so not a trade.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option