mask - nose area

General banter about diving and why we love it.
kalailyliani
Just Settling In

mask - nose area

Post by kalailyliani »

I keep getting water in the nose area of my mask. I've tightened it, loosened it, and i'm out of ideas on how to fix it. Cold water up my nose freaks me out. I'm asian, so i've had a pretty hard time finding masks that fit correctly... No nose bridge, and just a flatter and wider face lol

It's a cressi mask. I had the issue during my ow and yesterday and today at the pool practice sessions...

help? :(

Carrie
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: mask - nose area

Post by Desert Diver »

Go to a dive shop and find a mask that fits. If they don't fit, go to another dive shop till you find one. That said I still like purge valves after more than 30 years.
GearHead
Submariner

mask - nose area

Post by GearHead »

I don't know about purge valves, but I'll emphasize looking for a mask until you find one that fits. You should be able to form a slight negative pressure through your nose, then have the mask stay on your face without using the strap as you hold your breath.
I thought I had a couple masks that were Ok, but that meant only having to clear every 10 to 15 minutes. Then I found a mask that would stay clear for 45 minutes. Big difference.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Yeah, it's a fit problem. I went through a half dozen masks before I found one that worked... somewhat better than the others.

'Tis the perils of having an XXL big head and a mustache, in my case.

I found that masks with wide silicone skirts tend to fit better for a non-standard facial shape.
kalailyliani
Just Settling In

Post by kalailyliani »

Ok thanks. I am able to keep it on my face just from breathing in my nose, but once I'm in the water with the reg, that's when I start to get water in the nose. The dive shop I got certified through will be happy to find/sell me a mask so I'll ask them this week to try some of them on. Thanks for your help!! :)
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

One more thing — don't tighten the strap too much. It only needs to be just snug enough to keep the mask on your face at the surface. Once underwater, the pressure keeps your mask in place. If the strap is too tight, it will distort the mask frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

http://www.caribinn.com/mask-fitting/
Try this, it actually works.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I smear a light layer of silicone grease on my mask, seals even better.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Get in a habit if just blowing through your nose from time to time on a dive. This equalizes your mask in addition that if your head is positioned right, you will likely push a small amount of water out. Just a suggestion as it works for me.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
kalailyliani
Just Settling In

Post by kalailyliani »

I do blow through my nose cause there's water in it and I hate the feeling lol :)

I'll bring my mask with me tomorrow to the shop monthly get together and have someone help me getting it adjusted and what not.

Thanks for the link @fmerkel! it's not leaking from the top or sides, it's bubbling in from the nose area.. There are tiny bubbles that come out when i'm at depth and then water up the nose. yuck.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

If it doesn't actually fit, no messing around with the straps will fix it. I have one mask that pretty closely meets that fit criteria and still leaks on me.
My main mask is one I found in a bargain bin over 10 years ago. I haven't found anything better yet, but then I'm no much motivated to search anymore.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
kalailyliani
Just Settling In

Post by kalailyliani »

had the mask checked and it fit fine. going to try again at the next dive and if it still doesn't work out there's another one for me to try. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Steiger
Avid Diver

Post by Steiger »

I have had nasal reconstruction and a flat bridge as well, I've had good luck with the XS Fusion. But personally I was happy after trying out several different masks to see what fit me and doing a "fit check" that the salesmen suggested. There's a ton of variety and some shops have a pool to try the gear on before you buy it.

http://www.xsscuba.com/masks/fusion
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Once you find a mask you really like buy a 2nd one as a backup/spare/replacement! The perfect mask is a pain to find. If you don't have a spare you're sure to sit on your only one and break it. :( If you do buy a spare you'll never end up breaking or losing the first one lol :D
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kalailyliani
Just Settling In

Post by kalailyliani »

haha! that's a good strategy. I will probably be purchasing a new one in the coming months. I like the one I have but I do need a backup and want to see if the new one will fit better.

This weekend we'll see if my mask leaks again.

I might head up to hoodsport the last weekend of August CaptJack. If you wanted to meet up at Sunrise