Lessons learned...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Lessons learned...

Post by scottsax »

Did the pumpkin carving contest Saturday at EUWP. It would've been fun if it had been better planned and I'd been more on the ball....

Went with 2 buddies. Buddy A used his steel 120. Buddy B and I used his AL80's. The problem is that I've been diving borrowed or rented steel tanks, and didn't check my buoyancy close to shore. #-o Once we cleared the jetty, we got caught in one of the strongest currents I've ever experienced, carrying us racing into the ferry terminal. Not fun. Kicking as hard as we could, we were barely breaking even. One of the event's safety divers surfaced near us and said if we submerged, the current wasn't as strong, and we could pull ourselves along the bottom to the carving area. So I deflated my suit and my BC, only to find I wasn't carrying enough weight to offset the positive buoyancy of the aluminum tank. No problem, I thought-if I jackknife and lift my legs up, their weight will force me down enough to get past the first couple feet, which is always the tough part. Except that the current was so strong that it kept knocking my legs over, and I couldn't descend.

Exhausted, I looked around and found that I had drifted almost to the southern end of the park, and was very close to the ferry lane. My buddies were sufficiently weighted and had gone down, leaving me alone on the surface. I was too tired to swim against the current, so I started swimming 90 degrees toward shore, hoping to get in the shadow of the jetty so I could rest. After quite some time, I was successful, but pooped. I floated on my back for awhile, resting, until I felt strong enough to try to submerge. I took a compass heading toward shore, jackknifed again, and made it to the bottom, a whopping 10 feet of depth. Swam on my heading for awhile, then thought I'd surface to see where I was. I was 50-75 yards from shore, still fighting some current. There were safety divers in the water, so I figured I'd swim toward them and get a tow if I needed it.

That's when I felt my right calf muscle start spasming. Before I could grab my fin tip, it contracted in the worst cramp I've ever had in my life. Cursing uncontrollably, I managed to get one of the safety divers over to me to help stretch it out. Still hurts today. So there was no pumpkin carving for me, a total of about 10 minutes of bottom time, and a charley horse like I've never experienced.

What did I learn from this? Check the current tables, use accurate correction times, and dive according to the current tables at current-sensitive sites. I also learned that I need to buy tanks of my own so my weighting is the same every time, and I should probably buy some fins that provide more thrust than my BioFins. And that nightmare could've been avoided if the organizers had held the event closer to slack current, and not so close to a full moon. The ultimate responsibility lies with me, but still, ALL of the divers exiting the water indicated they'd struggled with the current.

I need to go diving again to wipe the bad taste out of my mouth. After I buy tanks.

:salute:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Thanks for telling the story. IMO we need to hear the ones that didn't go well more than the ones that went well. Glad you're OK...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

brutal!!!! come onto the muk at 8:00 in the pm tonight (monday 10-29-2007) a weekly dive and all are welcome!
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Glad to hear you came out okay, and didn't end up incurring the fine for being in the ferry zone.

I was on a ferry one day that was delayed because it had to use its tender to rescue exhausted divers hanging on the ferry lane pilings.

The current at Edmonds can be significant, as you learned. And it isn't always exactly what the tide and current tables predict, either. (Neither is the current anyplace else in the Sound!) And Al 80's are really awful tanks for our conditions, because of the amount of weight it takes to sink them. You are also right that having your own tanks means you can dial in the weight and balance that works perfectly for you, and know what it is each time. This is really good information to record in your logbook. That way, if you ever have to borrow a tank from somebody (eg. if you're travelling) you can flip back and see what you needed with those particular tanks.

It's really nice to have your own tanks, anyway, because then diving becomes much more spontaneous. The ritual of going to the dive shop, renting the tank, and then having to return it didn't last long for us . . . I think we bought tanks within a month or two of getting our C-cards :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Thanks for the kind words. It's true that we don't often hear about the bad days here. I love the "Life Lessons" column in Scuba Diving magazine for that very reason.

2 weeks ago I dove EUWP based on the current tables and had a lovely 45 minute dive. According to the current tables I looked at, using the corrections, we should've been close to slack when we hit the water Saturday. I was more than a little surprised to get hit so hard. I was really close to the piling with the "Underwater Park-divers stay north" sign on it, but managed not to drift south of it.

The weight and tank thing was my own damn fault, and I'm pissed at myself more than anything else for not checking it in the shallows and then running up onto the shore for more weight.

Meh. A couple weeks and this'll be a memory serving as a reminder of what NOT to do.

Jeff, I'd love to tonight, but I need another day or 2 to rest and stretch out my calf muscle. Still hurts like a bitch!
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Saturday we encountered a Northflowing current at Three Tree N, and it was also "swirling" some, something I've never seen there in 50+ dives. There is almost always a "counterclockwise" South flowing current that varies in intensity with the conditions. We typically swim into it heading north then "ride" it back in the shallows at the end of the dive. It was not unmanageable, but was unexpected and weird. There was a N NW wind of 3-7 knots according to the forcast, and that may have accounted for it.

I tell that story just to underline that currents are unpredictable, even at the most "predictable" dive sites. With the strange surface conditions I can imagine that at the more current intensive sites it could even be "weirder" as to direction, timing, and intensity.

SO.... ALWAYS check the surface conditions, monitor the situation throughout your dive, and don't hesitate to abort or thumb a dive if conditions warrant. Know your limits... respect the ocean... it's lots bigger and more powerful than we are!

-Heal up and get back in the water! :salute:

-Tom Nic
Last edited by Tom Nic on Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Wow Dude, that was one hairy experience. Yeah, current can be brutal if you're not riding it (which is way fun). My buddy and I did two dives at Edmonds Oil Dock a few weeks back. The first dive was awesome. Totally calm, outstanding viz.

The second dive? Unreal. The current was so strong it was just remarkable. We fought the current and made it out the the "T" in the dock and suddenly the current stop. Nothing. Nada. Zippo. It was eeire. We would have explored more but by the time we got out there, it was time to turn around if we wanted to make it back with any reserve whatsover. On the trip back, the current was even stronger! We litterally had to "jump" from piling to piling, hanging on for dear life, to keep from being swept away. We made it back fine, but boy were we exhausted. It was WORK! (and not really all that fun, actually!)
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Tom Nic wrote:Know your limits... respect the ocean... it's lots bigger and more powerful than we are!

-Heal up and get back in the water! :salute:

-Tom Nic
I learned the first time I went body surfing 20 years ago to respect the ocean. Dove at the bottom of a breaker, thinking I'd pop up on the other side. Instead I got tumbled like a sock in a dryer, inhaling what felt like half of the ocean, and getting sand forced into places there shouldn't be sand! :pale:

Having grown up on boats around Puget Sound I think the sea does things like this to you every once in awhile to keep you on your toes. You know? As a reminder that we're just passengers on this spaceship Earth and we can be kicked off anytime Mother Nature wants.

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

jeff98208 wrote:brutal!!!! come onto the muk at 8:00 in the pm tonight (monday 10-29-2007) a weekly dive and all are welcome!
Uhhhh...... I don't think tonight at mukilteo is a good day to wipe the bad taste of nasty current out of your mouth.......

Look kinda nasty to me....

Jake
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

FWIW, there was a interesting lunar event on Thursday night, I think it was, where the moon was WAY closer to the earth than normal. Something about Apogee and Perigee moons? Sorry, don't have it straight, but perhaps the strangeness you guys experienced at dive sites in the few days following that MIGHT have something to do with the forces of nature?

Just a thought!

The moon appeared larger and brighter by quite a bit.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

nwscubamom wrote:FWIW, there was a interesting lunar event on Thursday night, I think it was, where the moon was WAY closer to the earth than normal. Something about Apogee and Perigee moons? Sorry, don't have it straight, but perhaps the strangeness you guys experienced at dive sites in the few days following that MIGHT have something to do with the forces of nature?

Just a thought!

The moon appeared larger and brighter by quite a bit.

- Janna :)
I believe you're correct. It was the Hunter's Moon, the first full moon after Harvest Moon. The moon was, in fact, closer than normal. Traditionally, after the crops were harvested, the hunters would go out the next full moon to stock up meat for the winter.
:book:

Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Yes, you are correct, on the 26th the moon reached its full phase within a few hours of perigee, when it is closest to the earth.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap071025.html

I love astronomy.

Sargent Pepper and I did a dive at Cove 2 that night, the sky was perfectly clear, and the moon was stunning over Seattle.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Penopolypants wrote:Yes, you are correct, on the 26th the moon reached its full phase within a few hours of perigee, when it is closest to the earth.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap071025.html

I love astronomy.

Sargent Pepper and I did a dive at Cove 2 that night, the sky was perfectly clear, and the moon was stunning over Seattle.
Here's more on the Hunter's Moon

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Cool! I always learn stuff here! =D> So PenepolySMARTYpants... it sounds like this happens once a month - is this indeed the case? :book:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Wow, good stuff. Astronomy stuff rules! :supz:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Sounder wrote:Cool! I always learn stuff here! =D> So PenepolySMARTYpants... it sounds like this happens once a month - is this indeed the case? :book:
Er, no. The moon reaches apogee (farthest away from earth) and perigee (closest) in its elliptical orbit almost once a month (every 27.something days), but its phasing (new, 1/4, 1/2, full) is every 29.something days. The phase that it's in when it is closest and farthest away varies based on its position in the cycle. Perigee just happened to coincide with a full moon this time.

Hello, my name is Penelope, and I am a huge nerd. :smt024
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Penopolypants wrote: Er, no. The moon reaches apogee (farthest away from earth) and perigee (closest) in its elliptical orbit almost once a month (every 27.something days), but its phasing (new, 1/4, 1/2, full) is every 29.something days. The phase that it's in when it is closest and farthest away varies based on its position in the cycle. Perigee just happened to coincide with a full moon this time.

Hello, my name is Penelope, and I am a huge nerd. :smt024
Whoa! Looks like someone has another hobby besides diving! :salute: :bootyshake:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Penopolypants wrote:
Sounder wrote:Cool! I always learn stuff here! =D> So PenepolySMARTYpants... it sounds like this happens once a month - is this indeed the case? :book:
Er, no. The moon reaches apogee (farthest away from earth) and perigee (closest) in its elliptical orbit almost once a month (every 27.something days), but its phasing (new, 1/4, 1/2, full) is every 29.something days. The phase that it's in when it is closest and farthest away varies based on its position in the cycle. Perigee just happened to coincide with a full moon this time.
A 27- 29 day cycle, eh? Hmmmm, I wonder... :pale: :axe: nevermind. [-X

So how often does it coincide with the full moon?

Re: tides and currents - full moon doesn't have any more affect on tides than a new moon, does it? All a full moon has is light reflecting off it... right?

I DO know (and I'm sure Valerie will confirm) that a full moon brings out the weird in people - ER's are almost always more busy on a full moon and have stranger cases than a typical night.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:A 27- 29 day cycle, eh? Hmmmm, I wonder...
:pale: :axe: nevermind. [-X
:laughing3:
Sounder wrote:Re: tides and currents - full moon doesn't have any more affect on tides than a new moon, does it? All a full moon has is light reflecting off it... right?
If I remember 11th grade marine science class, the full moon DOES have an effect on tides and therefore currents. :book:
Sounder wrote:I DO know (and I'm sure Valerie will confirm) that a full moon brings out the weird in people - ER's are almost always more busy on a full moon and have stranger cases than a typical night.
No doubt about that! After nearly 20 years of playing in bars, I can attest that full, and to a lesser extent, new, moons make people go bananas....
B-A-N-A-N-A-S
:la:

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

How does the full moon work on tides?
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Here's the Wikipedia entry on tides.

Basically, at full and new moons, the earth, sun, and moon are in a line and the gravitational pull of the moon and sun combine to create higher than average high tides and lower than average low tides.

Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Sounder wrote: A 27- 29 day cycle, eh? Hmmmm, I wonder... :pale: :axe: nevermind. [-X
Yes. :)

It coincides once every 14 full moons, about 1.13 years.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Penopolypants wrote:
I love astronomy.
I love Pastrami too!

And Cheese!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Haha!

Mmm...cheese....

:supz:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."