Mukilteo Lighthouse Park - NO diving?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
scuba-911
Just Settling In

Mukilteo Lighthouse Park - NO diving?

Post by scuba-911 »

I was reading the February 2009 issue of Northwest Dive News and came across something that was definitely news to me. You may already know that Mukilteo's Lighthouse Park has been undergoing major renovations since 2007, with Phase 1 having just recently been completed. Well, apparently that called for updates to Mukilteo's park rules, which led to a total ban on all shore diving at the park per rule 26, effective 08/04/2008. (http://www.ci.mukilteo.wa.us/files/doc- ... 8-4-08.pdf)

I emailed an inquiry to Mukilteo's Recreation department and received the following reply:
Our park rules were updated this past year and it is now stated that there is no shore diving from Lighthouse Park beach area. This is due to safety concerns regarding the boat launch area right there and all the equipment on the beach with the amount of users on the beach and at high tide, there is very little beach. Lighthouse Park just completed the first of 4 Phases of renovations. This first Phase created new picnic shelters, a playground for kids, restrooms, volleyball court, walkways,… which has generated even higher uses of the beach area. We are also now renting out the picnic shelters for large picnics and weddings which has increased the park use. Diving is allowed in the area at the Mukilteo Community Beach next to the Silver Cloud (796 Front Street).

Thank you
Jennifer Berner
Recreation Manager
City of Mukilteo

I did a few different forum searches and it doesn't seem like the diving community had any input on this rule change. I haven't been down to the park to see if it's posted anywhere, but I only located the new rule in writing by making my way through the city's website. Was anyone aware of this rule change? It seems as though our interests as park users are somehow less important than others. I know this isn't necessarily the greatest dive site in Puget Sound, but now it's one less dive site. :angryfire: Before I delve into the matter any futher, I was just wondering what the general awareness and reaction was to this change.

Regards,
Andy
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Re: Mukilteo Lighthouse Park - NO diving?

Post by Pez7378 »

I didn't know about this. And now that I do, I'm Pissed! :angryfire:

Thanks for letting us know Andy. Unfortunately, it sounds like it's too late to do anything about it. I'll try to get ahold of my buddy at MPD and find out what their position is on the matter.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

And welcome to the NWDC!
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

you need to be a facebook member to view that page.
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

Well it is a group ON facebook, so you will need to be a member to join anyway.

Join facebook Spatnasty, we can take jabs at eachother on there as well sweet cheeks.
spatman wrote:
you need to be a facebook member to view that page.
"Cave is cave. Tech is when you can't get out when you want to."-LCF
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

I am shocked at this one. Another dive site I have read about since joining to be taken away (Edmonds Oil Docks being the other). :angryfire: Not like I can come down and tie my boat up to the dock and then dive it. Anyone know of a good anchorage near by?
Sean
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I am on facebook as well, and have often wondered what these 'groups' on there actually accomplish, other than just creating something that people can 'join'. But I have yet to see anyone actually DO anything.

As far as I'm concerned, I had not heard of this new ruling - so thanks for bringing it to the forefront! I'm going to toss it out on our WSA board for discussion and see if we can make any headway.

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I have spent literally hundreds of hours underwater off of this beach and I am stunned that the City of Mukilteo would close it to diving. This took me completely by surprise.

I just mailed a letter to the Mayor of Mukilteo outlining my views and asking that the decision be reconsidered.

I would urge any of you that wants the park re-opened to divers to do the same. Let's not lose another dive site without a fight!

Here is the address:

Joe Marine
Mayor, City of Mukilteo
Mukilteo City Hall
11930 Cyrus Way
Mukilteo WA 98275-5408
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

WHAT THE HELL?????! WHY DON'T They Just BAN SHORE DIVING ALTOGETHER?????? That would make everyone happy- no more worries. OK, NOW I'm PISSED. I love diving there- there's never been any friction with boaters, beachgoers, fishermen, or anybody, with divers there, to my knowledge. Just friendly curious people asking about what we're doing. How can they just ban one particular activity like that? What about frisbee and RC planes in the park right there? What about kids listening to music and smoking cigarrettes? WHY US? WHY BAN DIVING? Is it still legal to walk across the beach and go swimming? Is it legal to swim out to a boat and don scuba gear and descend? What are they gonna do to stop me, exactly? How can we reverse this completely unfounded, unfair, fascist dictum that was passed into law without any preamble whatsoever?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

John Rawlings wrote:I have spent literally hundreds ff hours underwater off of this beach and I am stunned that the City of Mukilteo would close it to diving. This took me completely by surprise.

I just mailed a letter to the Mayor of Mukilteo outlining my views and asking that the decision be reconsidered.

I would urge any of you that wants the park re-opened to divers to do the same. Let's not lose another dive site without a fight!

Here is the address:

Joe Marine
Mayor, City of Mukilteo
Mukilteo City Hall
11930 Cyrus Way
Mukilteo WA 98275-5408

It's been a long time since I "wrote a letter" to anyone, but I still remember how to do it. Game on.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

:axe: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I just got off the phone with the City of Mukilteo's recreation department. Jennifer Berner is out of town until next Tuesday, but I left a message with the lady who answered the phone. When she asked what the call was concerning, I told her that I helped run a website devoted to local scuba diving, and that we had just learned of the new law prohibiting diving there; and that I wanted to talk to her about it.

Does anyone else care about this? Is this the kind of thing WSA gets involved with? Does anyone have any suggestions about how to reverse this completely unfair and random decision?

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I just spent a few minutes going through the list of what is "prohibited" at the park:

Alcoholic beverages
Amplified loud music or noise
Illegal drugs
Non - city sponsored fireworks
Littering
Loitering
Tresspassing
Possessing graffiti writing instruments or spraypaint
Reckless or nuisance activities/behavior
Removal , destruction or alteration of park property
Soliciting
Posting of signs
Capturing or striking of wildlife
Feeding of wildlife
Glass containers
Scuba diving

How nice to know that the City Council of Mukilteo considers diving as either a criminal or nuisance behavior!
:angryfire:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:How can we reverse this completely unfounded, unfair, fascist dictum that was passed into law without any preamble whatsoever?
tell the local media there's going to be a "dive-in" to protest this law. have as many divers as possible show up en masse to dive the site with cameras rolling. make it a recurring event until either we're all arrested or something changes.

BigFameOne wrote:Join facebook Spatnasty, we can take jabs at eachother on there as well sweet cheeks.
i'd love to, but i'm too busy sticking sharp objects in my eyes.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Joshua Smith wrote:I just got off the phone with the City of Mukilteo's recreation department. Jennifer Berner is out of town until next Tuesday, but I left a message with the lady who answered the phone. When she asked what the call was concerning, I told her that I helped run a website devoted to local scuba diving, and that we had just learned of the new law prohibiting diving there; and that I wanted to talk to her about it.

Does anyone else care about this? Is this the kind of thing WSA gets involved with? Does anyone have any suggestions about how to reverse this completely unfair and random decision?
This is absolutely the kind of thing that WSA gets involved with. I haven't personally dove there, but I'm sure someone on the board has, and like I said, will get this info off to them pronto to see what can be done.

In the meantime, the more people who can call or write letters, the better. (as long as it's in a professional, mature manner, and reflects well on the diving community) :)

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I might also add that Mayor Joe Marine is the newly elected Mayor - he was NOT the Mayor at the time that this decision was made....although I do believe that he was on the City Council then, so he should be aware of the regulations and the discussion that accompanied them.

- John

RDA
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by RDA »

I have used the site extensively for deep training and there never has been a conflict. We are losing dive sites at an alarming rate and if we don't want it to continue it is time to do something about it.
A good start would be to show up to city council meeting on a regular basis and waste their time until they reconsider.
Ron Akeson
Adventures Down Under
wascuba40
Just Settling In

Post by wascuba40 »

nwscubamom wrote:I am on facebook as well, and have often wondered what these 'groups' on there actually accomplish, other than just creating something that people can 'join'. But I have yet to see anyone actually DO anything.

As far as I'm concerned, I had not heard of this new ruling - so thanks for bringing it to the forefront! I'm going to toss it out on our WSA board for discussion and see if we can make any headway.

- Janna
Janna sent you PM
pam
vbcoachchris
Dive-aholic

Post by vbcoachchris »

Joshua Smith wrote:WHAT THE HELL?????! WHY DON'T They Just BAN SHORE DIVING ALTOGETHER?????? That would make everyone happy- no more worries. OK, NOW I'm PISSED. I love diving there- there's never been any friction with boaters, beachgoers, fishermen, or anybody, with divers there, to my knowledge. Just friendly curious people asking about what we're doing. How can they just ban one particular activity like that? What about frisbee and RC planes in the park right there? What about kids listening to music and smoking cigarrettes? WHY US? WHY BAN DIVING? Is it still legal to walk across the beach and go swimming? Is it legal to swim out to a boat and don scuba gear and descend? What are they gonna do to stop me, exactly? How can we reverse this completely unfounded, unfair, fascist dictum that was passed into law without any preamble whatsoever?
Actually you can't even dive Leschi wall from shore without a permit

Skin/Scuba Diving (Seattle Municipal Code 16.28.020)
It shall be unlawful to engage in skin/scuba diving in the following areas without written permission from the Chief of Police though the Seattle Police Harbor Commander.
• In a line from the northwest tip of Harbor Island to the westernmost corner of Smith Cove.
• Lake Washington Ship Canal
o From mid-channel buoy in Shilshole Bay to Webster Point.
• Lake Union
• Portage Bay
• Salmon Bay
• Shilshole Bay Marina
• Elliott Bay Marina
• Any established Marina
• 300 ft from the NOAA facility at Sand Point
• 300 ft from any ferry slip, public boat ramp, patrolled public beach designated swimming area.
• 150ft from any pier, dock, float or other shore installation at Seacrest Pier

Anyone engaged in scuba or skin diving must display a dive flag (use of blue and white "Alpha" flag does not satisfy the requirement for a "diver flag").
Last edited by vbcoachchris on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

John Rawlings wrote:I just spent a few minutes going through the list of what is "prohibited" at the park:

Alcoholic beverages
Amplified loud music or noise
Illegal drugs
Non - city sponsored fireworks
Littering
Loitering
Tresspassing
Possessing graffiti writing instruments or spraypaint
Reckless or nuisance activities/behavior
Removal , destruction or alteration of park property
Soliciting
Posting of signs
Capturing or striking of wildlife
Feeding of wildlife
Glass containers
Scuba diving

How nice to know that the City Council of Mukilteo considers diving as either a criminal or nuisance behavior!
:angryfire:
Should you really need to post that illrgal drugs, or ilegal activities are banned there? Could we add Murder to the list of banned activities?

How ridiculous to include Scuba diving on the list, and while I understand that there are plenty of irresponsible scuba divers I would think there are more who are responsible folks willing to work to maintain parks that allow us access.
spatman wrote:
BigFameOne wrote:Join facebook Spatnasty, we can take jabs at eachother on there as well sweet cheeks.
i'd love to, but i'm too busy sticking sharp objects in my eyes.

Clearly you have Facebook mixed up with MySpace.
"Cave is cave. Tech is when you can't get out when you want to."-LCF
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Well, I sent an e-mail to the Parks and Recreation manager. Hopefully I get some response. I know a lot of us are passionate about this, but I would urge my fellow club members to please be careful what you send, or say in phone conversations. Since the rule is already there I think the more adversarial we are, the more they will dig in their heels. I'm not really convinced by some of the statements made in the response that was received above.

Hopefully we can work WITH the city to get this changed. This is one of my favorite dive sites, and I think it would be criminal to lose access to such a unique site due to some bureaucratic decision.

Jake
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

isn't loitering the purpose of a park?

from wikepedia

to loiter (third-person singular simple present loiters, present participle loitering, simple past and past participle loitered)

1. To stand about without any aim or purpose; to stand about idly; to linger; to hang around.
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

If I was a cynical person (only IF) I would say that from the message sent by Ms. Burner is that they have found a way to make that park a source of revenue, and that is now the primary purpose of the park. But that's only if I was a cynical person.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I'm cynical! They don't want any of us diving rif raf ruining the view for all those weddings and such. Basically it sounded to me like you guys don't raise revenue so we have no place for you here. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: