Humboldt squid at Cove 2 today ...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Re: Humboldt squid at Cove 2 today ...

Post by BASSMAN »

:eek: WOW! :smt119 Humbolt Sqid in Puget Sound? :nervous: this might require a search :smt024

:popcorn:

Tuesday, March 28, 2006
Squid native to Mexico found off Washington coast

By ROBERT McCLURE
P-I REPORTER

Dan Penttila has been walking Washington's beaches for more than 50 years, made a career of studying small fish born there, and knows pretty much what to expect.

But he could hardly believe it when one day in January, he stumbled over a squid, a species normally found in the warm waters off Mexico and Southern California: the Humboldt squid.

The marine scientist steeped in the Puget Sound ecosystem knew the creature only from The Discovery Channel.

"I just happened to glance down at the waterline, and there it was," said Penttila, a biologist at the state Department of Fish and Wildlife. "The head was mostly gone and the tentacles were just stumps. Something had eaten it, but it had been fairly recently because when I picked it up, the flesh responded to my touch."

Squid have the ability to change color, in this case from a dark gray-red to a lighter shade, when touched. Only a freshly killed squid still would exhibit that characteristic.

Hundreds of Humboldt squids washed ashore in southwestern Washington in October 2004. They first appeared off the Washington coast in August of that year, when the ocean was considerably warmer than usual. At the same time, Humboldts turned up as far north as Sitka, Alaska.

Before 1997, when the squid was first seen off Oregon, the species had never been documented north of San Francisco.

Humboldt squids are little known to scientists. They spend the daytime at great depths and are hard to study.

The squid Penttila found turned out to be a juvenile. Though they can grow to 6 feet and weigh 100 pounds, this one was about half that size, indicating that it probably hatched last spring.

And that has Penttila and other scientists curious: Did anyone else see one of these? And when those squids showed up in 2004, did they lay eggs somewhere?

P-I reporter Robert McClure can be reached at 206-448-8092 or robertmcclure@seattlepi.com.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

loanwolf wrote:You have to remember one thing how long have we been keeping good records on both sports and commercial fish catches? Current to 10 yrs ago very good, 10-20 good, 20-30 okay, 30-100 crap. If you talk with the old timer fisherman they did not want records kept of anything especially any by-catch. Take the 6 gill that was fished to almost extinction in the early 1900's. Today we are seeing 12-14 footers now. Now that some of the records, what little their is of those days have been researched it was not uncommon for a 28 footer to be pulled in.
There is no credible evidence to support a 28 foot sixgill. There is a well known mistake where a report was filed for an 8 foot sixgill and it was entered into the report as an 8 meter sixgill (24 feet). Again, there is no evidence at all that sixgills can get even close to 20 feet. The evidence at the moment suggests 16 feet but certainly nothing approaching 20 feet and I'm talking worldwide here.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

gcbryan wrote:Again, there is no evidence at all that sixgills can get even close to 20 feet. The evidence at the moment suggests 16 feet but certainly nothing approaching 20 feet and I'm talking worldwide here.
the sixgill in this video captured by researchers off hawaii is estimated at 18ft.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHuvs9Qqa5o[/youtube]

http://www.xray-mag.com/en/content/six- ... lmed-1000m
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Zen Diver wrote:Let us know when your next trip to Georgia is so we can start planning.... :joshsmith:
Will do! :biggrin:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

gcbryan wrote:
loanwolf wrote:You have to remember one thing how long have we been keeping good records on both sports and commercial fish catches? Current to 10 yrs ago very good, 10-20 good, 20-30 okay, 30-100 crap. If you talk with the old timer fisherman they did not want records kept of anything especially any by-catch. Take the 6 gill that was fished to almost extinction in the early 1900's. Today we are seeing 12-14 footers now. Now that some of the records, what little their is of those days have been researched it was not uncommon for a 28 footer to be pulled in.
There is no credible evidence to support a 28 foot sixgill. There is a well known mistake where a report was filed for an 8 foot sixgill and it was entered into the report as an 8 meter sixgill (24 feet). Again, there is no evidence at all that sixgills can get even close to 20 feet. The evidence at the moment suggests 16 feet but certainly nothing approaching 20 feet and I'm talking worldwide here.
That info is from private catch/sales records from if I remember correctly 1908-1914 or 15. There were also some photos that were with the records as well showing the boat with these things laying in the water beside it. So yes they can be said to not be credible as they were not done under scientific conditions. I do not remember the name of the boat it has been far to many years. The records were all tuned over to the maritime museum for safe keeping and review by the department of fisheries and anyone else in the early 70's. They were fished to near extinction by the 20's, Now 90 yrs later we have 12-14 footers being seen and washing up on shore from time to time. If they do live as long as they are believed to live the big ones we have today were the pups from the 20's. When mom and dad were rendered into oil. But we do not know for certain.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

FYI- It seems that it's more likely that this isn't a Humboldt squid but more likely a Robust Clubhook Squid Moroteuthis robusta.
In general ~3 to 4 ft for Humboldt Squid Dosidicus gigas, ~5 to 7 ft for Robust Clubhook Squid Moroteuthis robusta

This is from a friend at the aquarium:

It's quite common for us to have Clubhook squids wash into the sound this time of year. They are croaking. Its normal and natural. I wouldn't expect to see Humboldt squid until later in the year and they usually wash up on the outer coast in significant numbers first, enough to make the news. Humboldts sometimes come north in the summer and can get caught by sudden changes in temperature or other ocean conditions. We have had several recent instances of them washing up on the coastal beaches
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

loanwolf wrote:...There are two events that bring the sharks into the sound and always have. The migration of the California Fur Seals up here to pup and the breading of the squids brings the sharks into the sound.
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Can you explain? Are you saying this is what brings sixgill sharks into the sound?

And what are you referring to as a California Fur Seal? Northern Fur Seals? I'm not aware that they come up here to breed. Can you give more details?
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

gcbryan wrote:
loanwolf wrote:...There are two events that bring the sharks into the sound and always have. The migration of the California Fur Seals up here to pup and the breading of the squids brings the sharks into the sound.
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Can you explain? Are you saying this is what brings sixgill sharks into the sound?

And what are you referring to as a California Fur Seal? Northern Fur Seals? I'm not aware that they come up here to breed. Can you give more details?
No that is when we get sharks that are not normally here. I was referring to the night dive with the Humboldt’s in Monterey was scary as hell with all the shark’s feasting on squid at the time. But go back to I believe it was 88 or 89 when a Great White was swimming up the Snohomish River at Anthony’s and was photographed. The fur seals were hauled out and puping on the log bombs their as they do most years. When fishermen would haul up large sharks ‘not six gills’ they are usually after two events. Fur Seal migrations and squids. The sharks follow the food supply the same as the squid are doing. Our waters are not all that much colder than California, August last year we were warmer than San Diego once you get below the 30' thermo cline. Right now it is only 1 or 2 degree different in mid water and the same in deep water it usually stays fairly close all year. Squid are deep cold water dwellers not shallow warm water so temp makes very little difference to them. From what I have been told and have read the colder the water the bigger the squids. However what they do need is food and lots of it. The State of California has sold the primary fishing quotas to Japanese fleets off their shores and they are not staying to any quota. So the food supply is now diminished down there. In Mexico local fisherman are in an uproar because the Government did the same thing there. So when millions of big hungry squid need food where do they go? North, were the fish stocks have been beginning to somewhat restore themselves after 100 yrs of over fishing due to heavy regulation. As fish stocks increases up here and we have a food supply for them then they will move into the area. And continue to go further north. These are natural cycles that we have screwed up with over fishing. No one today can say what is what or what was here before. In Washington we hit the critical barrier on fish stocks just before 1930. Or we would have never needed to start building fish hatcheries in the 1930’s to support the commercial fishing industry. I think it is going to get very interesting over the next few years with what we will see out here in our waters.

I have always heard of the fur seals we get up here to pup as California fur seals. No California Sea Lions sorry I had to look that one up. We always called them California Fur Seals.
Greg
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

loanwolf wrote:
gcbryan wrote:

No that is when we get sharks that are not normally here. I was referring to the night dive with the Humboldt’s in Monterey was scary as hell with all the shark’s feasting on squid at the time. But go back to I believe it was 88 or 89 when a Great White was swimming up the Snohomish River at Anthony’s and was photographed. The fur seals were hauled out and puping on the log bombs their as they do most years. When fishermen would haul up large sharks ‘not six gills’ they are usually after two events. Fur Seal migrations and squids. The sharks follow the food supply the same as the squid are doing. Our waters are not all that much colder than California, August last year we were warmer than San Diego once you get below the 30' thermo cline. Right now it is only 1 or 2 degree different in mid water and the same in deep water it usually stays fairly close all year. Squid are deep cold water dwellers not shallow warm water so temp makes very little difference to them. From what I have been told and have read the colder the water the bigger the squids. However what they do need is food and lots of it. The State of California has sold the primary fishing quotas to Japanese fleets off their shores and they are not staying to any quota. So the food supply is now diminished down there. In Mexico local fisherman are in an uproar because the Government did the same thing there. So when millions of big hungry squid need food where do they go? North, were the fish stocks have been beginning to somewhat restore themselves after 100 yrs of over fishing due to heavy regulation. As fish stocks increases up here and we have a food supply for them then they will move into the area. And continue to go further north. These are natural cycles that we have screwed up with over fishing. No one today can say what is what or what was here before. In Washington we hit the critical barrier on fish stocks just before 1930. Or we would have never needed to start building fish hatcheries in the 1930’s to support the commercial fishing industry. I think it is going to get very interesting over the next few years with what we will see out here in our waters.

I have always heard of the fur seals we get up here to pup as California fur seals. I guess they would be north fur seals.
Fur Seals are open ocean animals and don't come to shore except in a very few specific locations near open ocean to breed (not here). Harbor seals don't migrate. I think you must be referring to California Sea Lions.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

gcbryan wrote:
Fur Seals are open ocean animals and don't come to shore except in a very few specific locations near open ocean to breed (not here). Harbor seals don't migrate. I think you must be referring to California Sea Lions.
I did a correction on that it is the California Sea Lions that used to come up to Everett and haul out and pup. Everyone used to call them Fur seals but after I thought for a minute I was like wait a minute Northern Fur Seals are small. These bastards were huge so I looked it up and corrected that one. Thanks it has been a lot of years since I had thought about this stuff. It is kind of cool trying to reawaken drowned brain cells. Now that the log bombs are not there anymore I wonder where they are going today.
Greg
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

loanwolf wrote:
gcbryan wrote:
I did a correction on that it is the California Sea Lions that used to come up to Everett and haul out and pup. Everyone used to call them Fur seals but after I thought for a minute I was like wait a minute Northern Fur Seals are small. These bastards were huge so I looked it up and corrected that one. Thanks it has been a lot of years since I had thought about this stuff. It is kind of cool trying to reawaken drowned brain cells. Now that the log bombs are not there anymore I wonder where they are going today.
No problem. The marine life is my main interest in diving as well. Look up Northern Fur Seal however....the males are huge as well. ;)
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

gcbryan wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
gcbryan wrote:
No problem. The marine life is my main interest in diving as well. Look up Northern Fur Seal however....the males are huge as well. ;)
It has been quite a few years since we have had large squid in the sound it is cool. But a little nerve racking as well because they are here looking for food so they can breed. After watching the carnage last yr in Monterey and then scootering out in the morning and only seeing remains of a few squid here and there is spooky. There was literally 100’s of tons of squid and nothing but eggs and some very fat and slow moving sharks the next morning
Greg
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

loanwolf wrote: It has been quite a few years since we have had large squid in the sound it is cool. But a little nerve racking as well because they are here looking for food so they can breed. After watching the carnage last yr in Monterey and then scootering out in the morning and only seeing remains of a few squid here and there is spooky. There was literally 100’s of tons of squid and nothing but eggs and some very fat and slow moving sharks the next morning
I've seen the opalescent (market squid) version of the mating orgy. I believe after spawning the squid die as well. Plenty of food for everyone!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Somebody sent me this link yesterday ...

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories ... 8c902.html

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

15 years ago Katrina and I saw a seal catch and thrash around a giant squid at Sunrise. We thought it was a Humbolt squid. Whatever it was it was realy cool. We saw a lot of magical things at Sunrise.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

gcbryan wrote:FYI- It seems that it's more likely that this isn't a Humboldt squid but more likely a Robust Clubhook Squid Moroteuthis robusta.
In general ~3 to 4 ft for Humboldt Squid Dosidicus gigas, ~5 to 7 ft for Robust Clubhook Squid Moroteuthis robusta

This is from a friend at the aquarium:

It's quite common for us to have Clubhook squids wash into the sound this time of year. They are croaking. Its normal and natural. I wouldn't expect to see Humboldt squid until later in the year and they usually wash up on the outer coast in significant numbers first, enough to make the news. Humboldts sometimes come north in the summer and can get caught by sudden changes in temperature or other ocean conditions. We have had several recent instances of them washing up on the coastal beaches
Looks like fish and wildlife confirmed it as Humbolt via Bob's post from King 5. Yikes, aren't Humbolt squid agressive? I thought I watched a special on Discover that confirmed this.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Two men say they spotted the squid while fishing near the Seacrest boathouse pier in West Seattle. One of the men caught it, and then released it back into the bay.
"Saw it, then caught it" sounds an awful lot like it was dead/dying and they just snagged it.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

The dive charter that takes you to see Humboldts puts you in armor. I have seen the videos on TV... they are pretty aggressive, latching on to you and chomping with no apparent provocation. Here's hoping they remain rare up here.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

airsix wrote:
Two men say they spotted the squid while fishing near the Seacrest boathouse pier in West Seattle. One of the men caught it, and then released it back into the bay.
"Saw it, then caught it" sounds an awful lot like it was dead/dying and they just snagged it.
sure does. here's a comment on the article's page:
FACTS from eyewitness in regards to this story:
1. Squid was already dead when hooked and brought to beach
2. Fisherman jigged and landed dead squid with fishing pole
3. Dept of Fish and Wildlife and Univ of WA were called.
4. After a few pictures, fisherman slid dead squid back into (cold) water to preserve until WDFW arrived (sunny day).
5. There was no epic sea monster battle. LOL
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I don't know if it was dead when they caught it, but it was certainly dead by the time I got over there. There were several fishermen on the pier, and they attempted to bring it up using the nets they use for landing salmon ... but it was too big. So the fisherman cut his line and left it floating. The wind eventually pushed it into Cove 3. The picture in the King5 article is clearly in Cove 3 ... and the fisherman holding the squid is my buddy Rod (he's not the fisherman who initially caught it, but is a West Seattle resident and a "regular" at the fishing pier).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Norris wrote:
Looks like fish and wildlife confirmed it as Humbolt via Bob's post from King 5. Yikes, aren't Humbolt squid agressive? I thought I watched a special on Discover that confirmed this.
Very aggressive and if thier is one their are hundreds to thousands or more they do not travel alone but in packs form all the info I have seen. Also from first hand diving with them in Mexico and California. As I stated in my earlier post on my DumboMeter of things to do that night dive during the breading orgy ranked very high. I will never do it again. That is without a armored suit on. But then again I said that after diving with them the first time in Mexico and I did it again.
Greg
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Initially I was talking with Jeff Christiansen of the SEA and he is the one who thought it was a Robust Clubhook Squid Moroteuthis robusta but he sent the picture to Roland Anderson who has now retired from the aquarium. I've just heard from him (Roland) and he confirms that it is indeed a Clubhook squid. He asks if anyone got a sample and if it's possible to get some DNA for Shawn Larson (also from the aquarium).

I assume this is not possible and I'll refer him to Fish and Wildlife just in case but I thought I'd post here just in case anyone has more info.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Dave McLean just posted this writeup by Michelle Jones, to another list I'm on. (Moss Bay DC). Talk about FREAKY!! Just think of those big ol' eyes watching you...wondering what you taste like... :confused:

Date: 7/10/09
Time:9:00PM
Divers in attendance: Michelle Jones, Anna Freed, John Kopinski, Greg
Dupraw, Doug Hooton
Max depth:11.8meters

Description: After kicking out diagonally from the main lifeguard tower to Valercitos street we descended in about 20ft of water. Within 3 minutes of being down 4 Humboldt squid were spotted. :smt119 We made the decision to surface. One squid had momentarily grabbed Doug's arm while another had also grabbed Anna's leg (though not at the same time). :eek:

We decided to drop back down and stay very close together, heading towards the canyon to follow the very top of the wall North. Before we got to the wall at least 4 more squid were seen. One squid was spotted behind us closely following us at which point we decided to turn around. On the way back several more were spotted approaching the lights and then swimming overhead. :yipes: We surfaced after 20 minutes as more and more were spotted and they continued to directly approach our lights.

The average length was 4ft+.
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

:eek: :nervous: :popcorn: :jason: