Harper's Ferry ID help

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Harper's Ferry ID help

Post by Scubie Doo »

Not really a critter ID, but I did not know where else to post this question.

During a dive last night at Harper's Ferry, Mike and I spotted bubbles flowing out of the three holes. They were about 12" apart and flowed pretty steadily the entire time we were there. Any idea what could have caused this?

https://vimeo.com/57406297

The video is processing so it may not be up for 30 minutes or so :-)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Harper's Ferry ID help

Post by CaptnJack »

Its gas from respiration of benthic critters which builds up because the sediment doesn't allow a totally free exchange of water. Eventually there's enough CO2 or maybe H2S to form a bubble which burps out.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Thanks CaptnJack! I am amazed at the things that memorize me underwater. I sat and stared at the bubbles what seemed like forever. I thought of Jed Clampet... Did I just find bubbling gold?
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Scubie Doo wrote:Thanks CaptnJack! I am amazed at the things that memorize me underwater. I sat and stared at the bubbles what seemed like forever. I thought of Jed Clampet... Did I just find bubbling gold?
Just be glad you were in water shallow enough and warm enough that you can rule out methane clathrates bubblin' up there... Takes either high pressure (waaay beyond diving limits) or reallllly cold water to keep those in a solid state vs gas.

And no I am not going to go into geek mode, anyone interested enough can ask Mister Google what a methane clathrate is :neener:

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Scubie Doo wrote:Thanks CaptnJack! I am amazed at the things that memorize me underwater. I sat and stared at the bubbles what seemed like forever. I thought of Jed Clampet... Did I just find bubbling gold?
I was once mesmerized as I tried to memorize. :calvin: And my wife owns several episodes of Beverly Hillbillies on DVD. :rawlings:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Scubie Doo wrote:... I sat and stared at the bubbles what seemed like forever...
Your buddy thought the same thing, especially since he was freezing his..., well, we was very cold. Then he thought you were narked...at 17fsw. He finally realized that hypothermia was kicking in and your brain was starting to short circuit...

....especially when you dragged him over so he could stare at the pretty bubbles too - while you digged in the muck trying to find the "creature" that was making them.

:nutty:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/s7IYR_rELyE[/youtube]