Octo babies

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Octo babies

Post by Dusty2 »

I saw this on facebook. It is the most awesome octo egg picture I have ever seen.
octo babies.jpg
Last edited by Dusty2 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: Octo babies

Post by ljjames »

Awesome!!

I heard a rumor that there was a hatching at Sund Rock this past weekend... north side, in about 60' of water... :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: Maybe that means some of the other nests are hatching soon too? there were I think 2 nests to the north and another 2 or 3 the south when we were over there first weekend of December, all in the 40-60' range.

Damn work always getting in the way!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

great picture! I've seen the eyes before, but never the whole octopus
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Way cool. I wonder what it was taken with? It would be difficult to get a large camera rig w/ strobes back in a den to get that detail. It may be cropped a bit, but they had to get their camera pretty close.

Also sounds like a trip to Sund soon is in order :-)
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Wow -- where did that picture come from?

There was a series a while back on ScubaBoard of a red octo's den and eggs, and the divers went back repeatedly to document the eggs maturing, but I don't remember if they got any shots with the baby octos as well developed as that.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

I'm failure sure this came from a series of photos of octopus eggs in a biology lab (not in the wild). Beautiful nonetheless