Hornby Nudibranchs and a Lumpsucker

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dphershman
Aquanaut

Hornby Nudibranchs and a Lumpsucker

Post by dphershman »

I've posted pictures of sea lions and scaled crabs elsewhere, but I thought I'd share some macro images from my recent Hornby Island trip as well. One of the reasons I love macros is the level of detail that can be studied after the fact.

Here's an Acanthodoris hudsoni snacking on some bryozoans :burntchef:

a rather nice looking Flabellina trilineata that appears to be 'pooping' (for lack of a better word right now)

A Hermissenda crassicornis that is missing one of its 'longhorns'

and finally, a nicely colored Spiny Lumpsucker expertly found by my dive buddy. This fellow blended perfectly well with the red seaweed it was sitting on.
Dan Hershman :smt024
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: Hornby Nudibranchs and a Lumpsucker

Post by Scubie Doo »

Very nice. I really like the third shot. The nudibranch really pops with that background. The SPL is cool too, I have never seen a red one. I have probably swam over 10+ though.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Hornby Nudibranchs and a Lumpsucker

Post by LCF »

Really nice shot of the rhinopores on the trilineata, and the bright red lumpie is really different!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames