Black-eyed goby question

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
LCF
I've Got Gills

Black-eyed goby question

Post by LCF »

I did a bunch of diving this last weekend at sites where we saw quite a few of these fish. I was surprised to see a number of them sporting iridescent blue patches on their cheeks, kind of like the blue spots on a male kelp greenling. I don't remember seeing this before, and going through a whole bunch of internet images of the fish, I see one or two that show it. I'm wondering if this might be breeding plumage?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Re: Black-eyed goby question

Post by nwscubamom »

Not sure, because sometimes I see it, and sometimes I don't. In California, that bright blue patch is much more prominent, so there might be slight geographical differences? They use the patch as an ID feature down there.
- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Black-eyed goby question

Post by LCF »

Thanks, Janna!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames