Redondo ID's?????

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Redondo ID's?????

Post by Octoloco »

Found a couple things that we could use some ID thoughts on -
I don't recall seeing a brightly colored anemone like this before; is this just a really pretty rose anemone?
CIMG1569.jpg
Is this a pygmy rock crab? Seems like Redondo is not the area these are typically found.
CIMG1539.jpg
Is this clam spawning or just filtering?
CIMG1535.jpg
Thanks everyone!
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Redondo ID's?????

Post by Dusty2 »

First is a pink tipped anemone, Anthopleura elegantissima, Don't think I remember seeing one this far down in the sound. As for the crab, I think your right but I don't do crabs.
And yes the clam is spawning. Did you see any others around? Usually when you see one there will be more. They usually time it to occur together although don't ask me how they manage that. :dontknow: :dontknow:
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Thanks Rich. I thought it was strange to see the anemone at Redondo as well.
The crab too. We've seen them in the colder waters in the large barnacle shells but not here...
And the clam looked to be the only one actively spawning.

It seems that Redondo still continues to produce critters not typically known for the southern end!!!

We'll make it over your for another "tour" one of these days.
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Tidepool Geek
Aquaphile

Post by Tidepool Geek »

Hi Kathy,

I'm going to respectfully and tentatively disagree on the anemone ID.

The fat tentacles and lined oral disk make me thing it's a stubby rose anemone aka Urticina coriacea. Not being a diver, I'm not familiar with conditions at Redondo but one would expect to see this anemone mostly buried in sand with only the tentacles and disk exposed. The same could be true of Anthopleura sola or A. artemsia but they don't have a lined oral disk and I've never seen any Anthopleura spp with fat tentacles. Urticina tentacles are usually tapered but, for reasons that are beyond me, they sometimes 'puff up' into the shape shown in your photo.

Fun fact - Anthopleura spp. will flouresce under a blacklight but Urticina spp. won't.

Agreeably yours,

Alex
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Thanks Alex, Good info. I thought it weird that Anthopleura elegantissima would be found at Redondo and they are seldom found as a single one by it's self.
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Thanks for the help Alex and Dusty! :notworthy:
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Dusty was correct on the i.d.'s- Anthopleura elegantissima, Cancer oregonensis, and the last is a spawning horseclam. What's particularly interesting about the clam is the third siphon, down below the normal top two. I've also seen this in geoducks and piddocks, but don't know what causes it.
Both the anemone and the crab occur in south sound, just not as abundantly as in the north. Stubby rose anemones are solid pale greenish color around the mouth (without lines radiating to the mouth), have a solid red column (a bit of the column is visible), and don't have pink-tipped tentacles.
Here's a picture of Anthopleura cloning itself by dividing in half
antho_fission1.jpg
The only difference is the fatness of the tentacles, and that is something that can change a lot over very short periods of time.
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Fascinating stuff!! Thanks Greg!

I really need to read more..
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Has anyone mentioned lately what a privilege it is to have someone like Greg on this board?
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

:joshsmith: :supz: :goodpost:
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy