Shrimp ID

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
LCF
I've Got Gills

Shrimp ID

Post by LCF »

Tonight at Redondo, I came across two fairly large shrimp (2 - 2 1/2 inches long) that were together. Both were this odd, dark green color, and they were both hanging around under a brick. I got two photos, neither of which is very good, but this one is at least interpretable:

Is this an odd-colored coon-striped, or something entirely other?

The dive was fabulous. We saw several lumpies, four snailfish, a tiny tiny red octo in a snail shell, a white-spotted greenling, a great sculpin, the biggest snake prickleback I've ever seen, and hundreds of juvenile crabs of all kinds. Not bad for a dive with an average depth of 17 feet!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Shrimp ID

Post by Dusty2 »

I keep tellin people deep isn't what it's all about. Some of my best sightings are in 20' or less. that's why I never surface swim.
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

It's a stout shrimp, Heptacarpus brevirostris. They are quite variable in color (dark green to nearly black, red, sometimes with a white saddle or racing stripe) and the largest hippolytid you're likely to see in shallow water. The name "brevirostris" refers to their very short rostrum (think 'brevity'). The males develop very large third maxillipeds used for fighting with each other - those are the first big appendages that you see on this guy, taken last week at Harper:
Heptacarpus brevirostris male.jpg
You can also zoom in and see the short rostrum.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Thank you, Greg! One of the striking things about these two was how big they were, and also the very interesting color. Wish I had gotten a photo as clear as yours!

That makes three new-to-me species to me from last night's dive. What fun!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Very cool. I think I saw one of those last week at Redondo too (same depth), and it was bright aqua colored. I was quite surprised!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

Is this guy a stout shrimp too?
Attachments
Shrimp_C010030.jpg
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

yep, that's the 'white saddle' marking I mentioned above