Star fruit shaped jelly fish like thing?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Star fruit shaped jelly fish like thing?

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

Hoping for some assistance. My wife and I were diving this weekend at the north wall. She saw a critter that and I quote "was floating around and looked like a translucent star fruit shaped jelly fish thing".

Any ideas? We didn't get pics as we were on our 7th dive only :-)

Thanks!!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Star fruit shaped jelly fish like thing?

Post by LCF »

How big was it? Did it look something like this:

jellieszone.com has a lot of photographs and information about these pelagic critters.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

@lcf. Thanks! That is it!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

http://jellieszone.com/bolinopsis.htm

You're very welcome! The pelagic jellies fascinate me, and one of my (probably rather hopeless) goals is to get good photographs of them.

Another good place to see some great jelly photos and learn about them is many of the threads posted by Merry on ScubaBoard. She's an amazing photographer for these kinds of animals, and writes little educational pieces about them, too.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames