Blue shrimp ID?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
SurlyDiver
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Blue shrimp ID?

Post by SurlyDiver »

Is this a Shortscale Eualid (Eualus suckleyi)? What could cause the amazing blue pigmentation?

This pic was taken at Three Tree Point last week on a deteriorating stump at about 30 fsw.
DSC_0047.jpg
SurlyDiver
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Re: Blue shrimp ID?

Post by SurlyDiver »

There was at least one other nearby that had the same blue coloration.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Very nice photo. I'll let Greg say what it is. He's the expert
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm no shrimp expert, but I wonder if that's another Heptacarpus brevirostris, like the deep green one I posted a few days ago? They apparently come in a wide range of blue-green colors.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
SurlyDiver
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by SurlyDiver »

Thanks! It seems to have more of a pattern than Stout Shrimp that I've seen. It has white bands on its legs though they're not very noticeable. I have seen some Stout Shrimp trend toward blue, too, but it's uncommon I think, based on my limited experience with looking at shrimp. I'm mostly curious about what would turn it blue.
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

It's another stout shrimp, Heptacarpus brevirostris. Color in these shrimps is largely due to chromatosomes (groups of pigment-bearing cells) that can be expanded or contracted, kind of like the chromatophores on an octopus but nowhere near as fast. They can also have a greenish to turquoise colored meat, which is likely something derived from their diet.

Some Deep blade shrimp (Spirontocaris prionota) change quite dramatically at night to a beautiful blue-green color, but I have no idea why some individuals do it and others don't.
SurlyDiver
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by SurlyDiver »

Thanks for the info, Greg. I'll keep an eye out for them and see if I can notice any trends. Time of year, habitat, varying hues, and the like. If it's diet related, do you have a theory on what would force blue pigment? If it is a chromatophore, what is the purpose of it?