Ragfish?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Ragfish?

Post by Octoloco »

I'm hoping that some of our local experts here can give us some information about this fish? Larry's sister and her husband found this half dead fish while walking the beach on a very low tide yesterday in Juneau. After some calls to the fisheries experts it was determined to be a ragfish. Looking online, there seems to be very little information about ragfish other than they have no skeletal structure. My brother in law said that when they picked it up his fingers all but sunk into the fish.
Anyway, we were hoping Greg and/or others might have additional information about this unusual fish.
Attachments
photo 5.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Ragfish?

Post by Tom Nic »

Wow! It's big! Cool find! I wonder how it wandered into the Sound?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Thanks Tom. That was some interesting information. Somebody from Alaska fisheries is supposed to go out and look at it but we haven't heard anymore about it yet.
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

I haven't had any experience with this species. Milton Love's big book has a summary of what is known about it.
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Thanks Greg! Sounds like its time for another trip to the book store! :)
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Should have drug it into the water and recorded it on a reef survey! :)
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Wow!
That is pretty cool!!!
K
"Let's go diving!"