Redondo at night-- time to find the Fish ID book!

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dphershman
Aquanaut

Redondo at night-- time to find the Fish ID book!

Post by dphershman »

Friday night we did a night dive at Redondo to specifically look for lumpsuckers.... but found quite a few other critters as well.

One of the first finds was a Plainfin Midshipman. I readily identified this fellow when I spotted him.

But there quite a few juveniles in mid water, which I didn't recognize until I got home and took a look at one small fellow that I just got a quick shot of.

Then we spotted a Snake Prickleback. I see these frequently during the daytime, but they're quite skittish at being approached. It was a lot easier to photograph him at night.

Next up was a Showy Snailfish. Hard to see why they're named that, but they're kind cute as they do look a bit
like a tadpole.

At the end of the dive we set aside some time to search through the eel grass to find a lumpsucker. We struck out this time, so we slowly headed back to the MAST pier at about 12 feet in depth, mindful of our diminishing air supply. Of course, that's exactly when we found one, right out in the open sand. There must be a rule that says you will never find a lumpsucker until you're below 600 on the air gauge. This one was actively swimming around and seemed to have a fascination with my lens port. He kept swimming towards it, forcing me to keep backing up to frame him.

All in all a good night dive!
Last edited by dphershman on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Hershman :smt024
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Redondo at night-- time to find the Fish ID book!

Post by Dusty2 »

Great shots! Love them all. As for your unspoken rule? It is a fact that if you are low and headed in you will always find that one special subject that just has to be filmed. That's when my pony gets exorcized! :supz:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

... is your pony normally possessed?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

All ponies are possessed. Don't you remember, Bob?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

:laughing3:
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Grateful Diver wrote:... is your pony normally possessed?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:rofl:
"Let's go diving!"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Scubak wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:... is your pony normally possessed?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:rofl:
Awesome on so many levels... :notworthy:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman