Worm ID help needed

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dtodd
Avid Diver

Worm ID help needed

Post by dtodd »

I found this worm at the base of some eel grass on a night dive at Redondo. Have looked through my Marine Life of the Pacific and haven't found an exact match. Is it some type of spaghetti worm?
Worm.jpg
Worm2.jpg
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Worm ID help needed

Post by Octoloco »

I can't help with a ID but its a very interesting find. Nice pics of whatever it is!
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Tidepool Geek
Aquaphile

Post by Tidepool Geek »

Hi David,

Your worm does appear to be a terebellid (aka spaghetti worm) but it doesn't look quite right for the most commonly seen local terebellid Thelepus crispus. I didn't have much luck but if you do a really persistant image search on Google or Bing you could get lucky.

It's pretty unusual to see such a worm out of its tube since an unprotected animal usually gets eaten very quickly. They're also not easily identified (at least casually) in this state since most photo I.D. sources show them in their tube.

Given that you found it in a sandy/eel grass area one possibility is Pista pacifica; did you see any tubes in the area that stick out of the sand with a 90 degree bend and a frilly or ragged opening?

Speculatively yours,

Alex
LeslieH
Just Settling In

Post by LeslieH »

It is a terebellid. It's curled up so the ventral side is showing. I won't venture a guess as to the genus without seeing the dorsal side but it's neither Thelepus or Pista.