Tube Worms

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

Tube Worms

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

It seemed like there were more tube worms than usual around Cove 2 yesterday. The additional working distance of the lens/port combo I was trying out was also much more effective at not scaring them off, so maybe I'm just biased. Either way, I got some interesting shots.

Each of these has what looks like a little horn sticking out. Does anybody know the biology of this? Also, can anybody provide a more specific ID for these?

Tube worm by decidedlyodd, on Flickr

Tube Worm by decidedlyodd, on Flickr

Tube Worm by decidedlyodd, on Flickr
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Tube Worms

Post by LCF »

I believe that is a calcareous tubeworm, Serpula columbiana. And although I'm not sure, I think from the descriptions that the cone-shaped plug at the end of a stalk is the animal's operculum.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I can't give the exact species, but the thing you asked about is indeed an operculum. When the worm pulls in, that plugs the tube.

Those are exquisite pictures!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
LeslieH
Just Settling In

Post by LeslieH »

First & second images show Serpula columbiana; the third is Crucigera zygophora. You can tell the difference by the shape of the structure where the operculum joins the stalk. In Serpula the operculum & stalk merge with just a slight constriction but in Crucigera there's 2 to 4 lobes.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I love tubeworms of all shapes, sizes and colors. One of these days I want to do a dive at Les Davis and shoot nothing but the unbelievable variety of tubeworms. Such simple creatures to produce such diverse beauty!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Leslie, thank you! I would never have paid enough attention to notice that they were not all the same species. Now I'll know to look more closely at the ones I see underwater.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Those are beautiful. That first one is really nice. I like the dark contrast on the bottom of the photo. I love seeing awesome photos of common critters.